Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Newport News, Virginia — The American South (Mid-Atlantic)
 

Young’s Mill

 
 
Young’s Mill Marker image. Click for full size.
By Bill Coughlin, August 11, 2008
1. Young’s Mill Marker
Inscription. Following the 10 June 1861 Battle of Big Bethel, Confederate Gen. John B. Magruder established a base at Young’s Mill. This tide mill formed the right flank of Magruder’s First Defensive Line, which reached across the Peninsula to Ship’s Point on the York River. Extensive earthworks defended the crossing of the Warwick River over Deep Creek. When Union Maj. Gen. George B. McClellan began his Peninsula Campaign on 4 May 1862 to capture Richmond, elements of Brig. Gen. Erasmus D. Keyes IV Corps led by Brig. Gen. William F. “Baldy” Smith advanced to Young’s Mill. They skirmished with Confederate troops defending this mill dam crossing. The Confederates abandoned their position for a more determined stand on the Warwick River.
 
Erected 2002 by Department of Historic Resources. (Marker Number W 63.)
 
Location. 37° 6.369′ N, 76° 30.84′ W. Marker is in Newport News, Virginia. Marker is at the intersection of Old Grist Mill Lane and Warwick Blvd (U.S. 60), on the right when traveling west on Old Grist Mill Lane. Touch for map. Marker is located at Young's Mill Historic Site. Marker is at or near this postal address: 13055 Warwick Blvd, Newport News VA 23602, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within
Markers at Young’s Mill Historic Site image. Click for full size.
By Bill Coughlin, August 11, 2008
2. Markers at Young’s Mill Historic Site
3 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. A different marker also named Young’s Mill (here, next to this marker); Mathews Mill (here, next to this marker); a different marker also named Young’s Mill (a few steps from this marker); First Peninsula Defense Line (within shouting distance of this marker); Providence Mennonite Church (approx. 0.2 miles away); Denbigh Parish (approx. Ľ mile away); Two USCT Heroes (approx. 1.1 miles away); Warwick County Confederate Monument (approx. 2.2 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Newport News.
 
Also see . . .  The Peninsula Campaign. (Submitted on August 14, 2008, by Bill Coughlin of North Arlington, New Jersey.)
 
Additional comments.
1. Old Marker
This marker replaces an older W-63 with the same title which was posted on Route 337, 3/4 mile south of Denbigh. Its text read, Here ran a line of Confederate fortifications, built in 1861 to oppose the Union advance from Fortress Monroe.
    — Submitted August 14, 2008, by Craig Swain of Leesburg, Virginia.

 
Categories. Notable PlacesWar, US Civil
 
Young’s Mill Markers image. Click for full size.
By Bill Coughlin, August 11, 2008
3. Young’s Mill Markers
Three markers, all titled "Young's Mill", are at this location. This marker for this entry is the leftmost of the three in the photo.
Young’s Mill Historic Site image. Click for full size.
By Bill Coughlin, August 11, 2008
4. Young’s Mill Historic Site
Young's Mill was the site of a 1861 Confederate camp and Gen. Magruder’s first line of defense during the 1862 Peninsula Campaign.
Confederate Fortifications at Young’s Mill image. Click for full size.
By Bill Coughlin, August 11, 2008
5. Confederate Fortifications at Young’s Mill
These fortifications, located in the woods across the street from the marker, were part of the first line of defense in 1862. They were attacked during the Peninsula Campaign, but judged to be too formidable to breach.
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on August 14, 2008, by Bill Coughlin of North Arlington, New Jersey. This page has been viewed 891 times since then and 30 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3, 4, 5. submitted on August 14, 2008, by Bill Coughlin of North Arlington, New Jersey.
Paid Advertisement