Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Newport News, Virginia — The American South (Mid-Atlantic)
 

Lee Hall

 
 
Lee Hall Marker image. Click for full size.
By Bill Coughlin, August 11, 2008
1. Lee Hall Marker
Inscription. The village of Lee Hall, built after the arrival of the C & O Railway in the 1880ís, took its name from the fine residence begun in 1848 by Richard Decatur Lee overlooking his extensive Warwick County Plantation. Lee Hall became the headquarters of the Confederate General, John B. Magruder, in April and May 1862, during the Civil War Peninsula Campaign. The house is privately owned today.
 
Erected 1970 by Newport News Historical Committee.
 
Location. 37° 11.637′ N, 76° 34.336′ W. Marker is in Newport News, Virginia. Marker is at the intersection of Elmhurst Street and Yorktown Road, on the left when traveling west on Elmhurst Street. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Newport News VA 23603, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. The Simon Reid Curtis House (a few steps from this marker); Lee Hall Depot (a few steps from this marker); C&O "Peninsula Extension" (a few steps from this marker); Lee Hall Village (a few steps from this marker); An Earthwork in Front (approx. 0.4 miles away); Largest and Most Valuable Estate in the County
Lee Hall Marker image. Click for full size.
By Bill Coughlin, August 11, 2008
2. Lee Hall Marker
(approx. 0.4 miles away); A Large Brick Kitchen (approx. 0.4 miles away); Homestead by the Main Road (approx. 0.4 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Newport News.
 
Also see . . .
1. Lee Hall Mansion. (Submitted on August 14, 2008, by Bill Coughlin of North Arlington, New Jersey.)
2. The Peninsula Campaign. (Submitted on August 14, 2008, by Bill Coughlin of North Arlington, New Jersey.)
 
Categories. Notable PlacesWar, US Civil
 
Lee Hall image. Click for full size.
By Bill Coughlin, August 11, 2008
3. Lee Hall
This mansion was used as a headquarters building for Confederate Generals John B. Magruder and Joseph E. Johnston during the 1862 Peninsula Campaign.
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on August 14, 2008, by Bill Coughlin of North Arlington, New Jersey. This page has been viewed 893 times since then and 36 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3. submitted on August 14, 2008, by Bill Coughlin of North Arlington, New Jersey.
Paid Advertisement