Mystic Congregational Church Bell
This bell is an integral part of the history of Medford. It was cast in 1860 by Henry N. Hooper Company of Boston with a 44 inch diameter, 1,700 lbs. weight, in F Sharp.
The bell was constructed for the presidential campaign of the Constitutional Union Party candidates John Bell (president) and Edward Everett (vice-president) with the inscription: "Massachusetts for the Union, the Constitution and the Enforcement of the Laws". On the opposite side were the words "Bell & Everett, 1860". In that year the bell, mounted on a dray and accompanied by several men to ring it, was pulled by six white horses throughout Massachusetts.
Days after Lincoln's victory, the Trinitarian Society purchased the bell from the State Committee of the Constitutional Union Party with insurance money from their fire ravaged church at 44 High Street. The Trinitarians had already donated one hundred silver dollars to be melted into the bell when it was cast. In 1874 the bell was moved the the remodeled Mystic Congregational Church at 30 Salem Street. It remained there until 1990 when the weakened steeple was removed from the New England Baptist Church. The bell was purchased by the City of Medford and moved to this location through the efforts of Mayor Michael McGlynn and the Medford City Council.
Location. 42° 24.748′ N, 71° 6.661′ W. Marker is in Medford, Massachusetts, in Middlesex County. Marker is on George Street. Touch for map. Marker is located in Royall Park, at the corner of Main Street and George Street. Marker is in this post office area: Medford MA 02155, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 2 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Royall House (a few steps from this marker); Stearns Estate (approx. 0.4 miles away); “Jingle Bells” Composed Here (approx. 0.4 miles away); Captain Isaac Hall Hitching Post (approx. 0.4 miles away); “Grandfather’s House” (approx. 0.4 miles away); Powder House (approx. 0.8 miles away); The Peter Tufts (Cradock) House (approx. 0.9 miles away); James Walter Mullally Crossing (approx. 1.4 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Medford.
Additional keywords. 1860 Presidental election
Categories. • Churches & Religion • Politics •
Credits. This page was last revised on April 11, 2017. This page originally submitted on April 10, 2017, by Sarah Corvene of Medford, Massachusetts. This page has been viewed 83 times since then and 20 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on April 10, 2017, by Sarah Corvene of Medford, Massachusetts. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.