Columbus in Franklin County, Ohio — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
The State House
A cornerstone was laid July 4, 1839, in the “northeast angle of the foundation ...”, although there is no visual evidence of its existence.
Actual construction progressed during 15 of the 22 years required to complete the building. Political differences, a cholera epidemic, and labor difficulties caused delays. The legislature occupied the unfinished building on January 5 1857.
This monumental structure majestic in its simplicity, is truly an historic symbol of democratic government by free men.
Erected 1966 by The Ohio Historical Society.
Location. 39° 57.725′ N, 83° 0.022′ W. Marker is in Columbus, Ohio, in Franklin County. Marker is at the intersection of Broad Street (U.S. 40) and High Street, on the right when traveling east on Broad Street. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Columbus OH 43215, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 12 other markers are within The Unknown Boy Scout (a few steps from this marker); Charity Newsies (within shouting distance of this marker); Intersect (within shouting distance of this marker); Trinity Episcopal Church (within shouting distance of this marker); “These Are My Jewels” (within shouting distance of this marker); Ohio World War Memorial (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Peace (about 300 feet away); James A. Rhodes (about 300 feet away); William McKinley (about 300 feet away); The Ohio Statehouse / Lincoln at the Statehouse (about 400 feet away); The Spirit of ’98 (about 500 feet away); Here Stood Lincoln (about 500 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Columbus.
More about this marker. This is one of two identical plaques erected about 700 feet apart, this one facing north and the other facing south, and affixed to pedestrian entrances to the parking garage built beneath Capitol Square.
Also see . . . The Statehouse Rotunda. “The Rotunda is one of the most remarkable spaces in the Statehouse. Stretching 120 feet from the floor to the skylight, the Rotunda is filled with 12 different colors and distributes light to other areas of the building.” (Submitted on August 14, 2008, by J. J. Prats of Springfield, Virginia.)
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on August 14, 2008, by J. J. Prats of Springfield, Virginia. This page has been viewed 1,360 times since then and 61 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on August 14, 2008, by J. J. Prats of Springfield, Virginia. 4. submitted on September 28, 2008, by J. J. Prats of Springfield, Virginia.