Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Junction in Kimble County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
 

Kimble County

 
 
Kimble County Marker image. Click for full size.
By Michael Herrick, April 1, 2017
1. Kimble County Marker
Inscription.
Early History Of
Kimble County
Created in 1858 out of Bexar County, Kimble County was attached temporarily to Gillespie County for judicial purposes. It was named for Lt. George C Kimble slain March 6, 1836, in the siege of the Alamo. The county was organized in 1876 and the first regular term of district court was held, spring 1877 under a live oak tree 1¾ miles north of here. Judge W.A. Blackburn presided, aided by Texas Rangers.
The first county officials elected February 15, 1876 were Will Potter, Judge; Frank Latta, Sheriff and Tax Collector; K. Kountz, Clerk; N.Q. Patterson, Treasurer; M. J. Denman, Surveyor; And William Graham: Attorney.
The County Commissioners were James R. Steffey of Precinct 1; Felix Burton of Precinct 2; H.E. Pearl of Precinct 3: and A. Vancourt of Precinct 4.
The first courthouse, a frame building erected in 1878, was destroyed, with all the county records by fire April 22, 1884. Commissioners Court passed an order on May 18, 1884, to replace the old building with a new two-story stone structure.
On June 22, 1888, this also was partially destroyed by fire and on April 11, 1889 it was ordered repaired under the direction of B.A. Davey. This building stood until replaced by the present courthouse in 1929. (1968)
 
Erected
Kimble County Marker image. Click for full size.
By Michael Herrick, April 1, 2017
2. Kimble County Marker
1968 by Texas State Historical Survey Committee.
 
Location. 30° 29.331′ N, 99° 45.974′ W. Marker is in Junction, Texas, in Kimble County. Marker is at the intersection of Main Street and N. 6th Street, on the right when traveling east on Main Street. Touch for map. Located in front of Kimble County Court House. Marker is at or near this postal address: 501 Main Street, Junction TX 76849, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Kimble County Courthouse (here, next to this marker); Burt M. Fleming Memorial (a few steps from this marker); Major William Addison Spencer (a few steps from this marker); John Sterling Durst (within shouting distance of this marker); Coke R. Stevenson (within shouting distance of this marker); Kimble County Veterans Memorial (within shouting distance of this marker); Colonel John Griffith (within shouting distance of this marker); Fight of Sheriff’s Posse with Cattle Rustlers (within shouting distance of this marker). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Junction.
 
Also see . . .  Kimble County, Texas on Wikipedia. (Submitted on April 15, 2017, by Michael Herrick of Southbury, Connecticut.)
 
Categories. Settlements & Settlers
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on April 15, 2017. This page originally submitted on April 15, 2017, by Michael Herrick of Southbury, Connecticut. This page has been viewed 159 times since then. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on April 15, 2017, by Michael Herrick of Southbury, Connecticut.
Paid Advertisement