Junction in Kimble County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
Coke R. Stevenson
County Attorney, County Judge, Legislator 1929-1939. While he was speaker, State House of Representatives, landmark legislation included first drivers license law; municipal indebtedness reporting law; creation of state auditor's office; Lower Colorado River Authority; Highway Department pay-as-you-go plan.
First Texan to hold the three highest executive posts: Speaker of the House (1933-1937), Lieutenant Governor (1939-1941), Governor (1941-1947). Also first to have more than two terms as governor.
Over 50 years a Methodist, lawyer, mason, rancher. Married in 1912 Fay Wright (deceased 1942), in 1954 Mrs. Marguerite King Heap. Children: Coke, Jr. and Jane. (1966)
Erected 1966 by
Location. 30° 29.347′ N, 99° 45.969′ W. Marker is in Junction, Texas, in Kimble County. Marker is at the intersection of Main Street and N. 6th Street, on the right when traveling east on Main Street. Touch for map. Located in front of Kimble County Court House. Marker is at or near this postal address: 501 Main Street, Junction TX 76849, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. John Sterling Durst (here, next to this marker); Colonel John Griffith (here, next to this marker); Kimble County Veterans Memorial (here, next to this marker); Major William Addison Spencer (a few steps from this marker); Burt M. Fleming Memorial (a few steps from this marker); Fight of Sheriff’s Posse with Cattle Rustlers (within shouting distance of this marker); Kimble County (within shouting distance of this marker); Kimble County Courthouse (within shouting distance of this marker). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Junction.
Also see . . . Coke R. Stevenson on Wikipedia. (Submitted on April 15, 2017, by Michael Herrick of Southbury, Connecticut.)
Categories. • Notable Persons • Politics •
Credits. This page was last revised on April 15, 2017. This page originally submitted on April 15, 2017, by Michael Herrick of Southbury, Connecticut. This page has been viewed 119 times since then and 34 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on April 15, 2017, by Michael Herrick of Southbury, Connecticut.