New Orleans in Orleans Parish, Louisiana — The American South (West South Central)
Carmelite Chapel of St. Joseph and St. Teresa and the Carmelite Monastery
Founded by the Discalced Carmelite nuns, a contemplative and strictly cloistered order of nuns restored to the primitive rule established by St. Teresa of Avila in the 16th century. The nuns lived their entire lives behind the high walls of the monastery, praying and praising the Lord. The Archdiocese of New Orleans purchased the building in 1975.
Erected by The Center of Jesus The Lord.
Location. 29° 57.903′ N, 90° 3.863′ W. Marker is in New Orleans, Louisiana, in Orleans Parish. Marker is on North Rampart Street 0.1 miles west of Barracks Street, in the median. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 1234 North Rampart Street, New Orleans LA 70116, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Carmelite Monastery (a few steps from this marker); Italian Hall (about 400 feet away, measured in a direct line); St. Aloysius College (about 500 feet away); Saint Augustine Church, New Orleans (about 500 feet away); Tomb of the Unknown Slave Maison Hospitalière (approx. 0.2 miles away); Frances Benjamin Johnston House (approx. ¼ mile away); Erard-Espy House (approx. ¼ mile away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in New Orleans.
Categories. • Churches & Religion •
Credits. This page was last revised on April 17, 2017. This page originally submitted on April 16, 2017, by Cajun Scrambler of Assumption, Louisiana. This page has been viewed 76 times since then. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on April 16, 2017.