New Orleans in Orleans Parish, Louisiana — The American South (West South Central)
James Freret, Architect
Ferdinand Reusch, Jr., Builder
Dedicated on November 12, 1895, as the Chapel of Reparations and Monastery of the Discalced Nuns. The cornerstone was laid in 1891 by Archbishop Francis Janssens.
The Carmelites, a Catholic Order of Cloistered nuns, was established in Antwerp, Belgium, by the Companions of St. Theresa of Jesus, and arrived in New Orleans in 1877.
The nuns moved out of the complex in 1971, and sold it in 1975 to the Roman Catholic Archdiocese of New Orleans, which opened these buildings as a Catholic Charismatic retreat house, The Center of Jesus The Lord.
Erected 2004 by Orleans Parish Landmarks Commission.
Location. 29° 57.905′ N, 90° 3.849′ W. Marker is in New Orleans, Louisiana, in Orleans Parish. Marker is on North Rampart Street west of Barracks Street, on the right when traveling east. Touch for map. Mounted on wall surrounding The Monastery. Marker is at or near this postal address: 1236 North Rampart St, New Orleans LA 70116, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Carmelite Chapel of St. Joseph and St. Teresa and the Carmelite Monastery (a few steps from this marker); Italian Hall St. Aloysius College (about 400 feet away); Saint Augustine Church, New Orleans (about 600 feet away); Tomb of the Unknown Slave (about 600 feet away); Maison Hospitalière (about 800 feet away); Frances Benjamin Johnston House (approx. ¼ mile away); Gauche House (approx. ¼ mile away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in New Orleans.
Categories. • Churches & Religion •
Credits. This page was last revised on April 17, 2017. This page originally submitted on April 17, 2017, by Cajun Scrambler of Assumption, Louisiana. This page has been viewed 150 times since then and 8 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on April 17, 2017.