Old Harding Pike
The route became a passable dirt wagon road by 1810. It was a direct route to Nashville. From Cockrill Spring, which is located in present day Centennial Park, it led up the valley of Richland Creek, climbed what would later be known as Nine Mile Hill and descended along Flat Creek to cross the Big Harpeth just upstream from DeMoss's mill. By 1814 the road extended all the way to Centerville.
In 1843, DeMoss and other Harpeth River valley settlers successfully petitioned the Tennessee General Assembly for a "Charter of Incorporation for the Richland Turnpike Company." This macadamized road was completed in 1849 at a cost $35,000 which was to be recovered, along with a return to stockholders, by collected tolls from its users.
William Giles Harding, owner of Belle Meade plantation, was a principal stockholder in the Richland Turnpike Company. By the Civil War, the road was generally known as Harding Pike.
The Richland Turnpike crossed the Harpeth here on a new bridge and continued
The Beautifully crafted white church building just across the river here was a key part of what was once a close-knit rural community. It was completed and dedicated 1912 on land donated by J.F. and Anna Joslin Thompson for the construction of a new Methodist church.
By 1926, the old Harding Pike had been repaved from the South Harpeth at Linton to the present-day junction of U.S. 70 and Old Harding Road. The re-routing of Highway 100 from Pasqup through Vaughns Gap to its present junction with U.S. 70 was completed in 1933 because of the weak, narrow bridge across the Harpeth and its flood-prone approach to DeMoss Bottom.
Erected by Metropolitan Board of Parks and Recreation.
Location. 36° 3.533′ N, 86° 56.7′ W. Marker is in Nashville, Tennessee, in Davidson County. Marker is on Old Harding Pike 0.1 miles north of Morton Mill Road. Touch for map. Located along the Harpeth River Greenway. Marker is in this post office area: Nashville TN 37221, United States of America.
Other nearby markers.
Categories. • Bridges & Viaducts • Man-Made Features • Roads & Vehicles •
Credits. This page was last revised on April 23, 2017. This page originally submitted on April 18, 2017, by Caroline Mitchell Carrico of Memphis, Tennessee. This page has been viewed 116 times since then and 8 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on April 18, 2017, by Caroline Mitchell Carrico of Memphis, Tennessee. 3. submitted on April 20, 2017, by Steve Masler of Memphis, Tennessee. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.