University in Lafayette County, Mississippi — The American South (East South Central)
Civil Rights Monument
a Mississippi native of Kosciusko,
stepped into the pages of
history on October 1, 1962
when he opened the doors to
higher education at the
University of Mississippi and in
the South. As a major figure in
the American civil rights
movement, he helped lead the
way to justice and equality
for all citizens.
Erected 2006 by the University of Mississippi.
Location. 34° 21.915′ N, 89° 32.196′ W. Marker is in University, Mississippi, in Lafayette County. Marker can be reached from Library Lane west of University Circle. Touch for map. Located behind the Lyceum building. Marker is at or near this postal address: 1 Library Lane, University MS 38677, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. University of Mississippi (within shouting distance of this marker); The Lyceum (within shouting distance of this marker); The Old Chapel (about 700 feet away, measured in a direct line); Lyceum — The Circle Historic District (about 700 feet away); To Our Confederate Dead (about Ventress Hall (approx. 0.2 miles away); Barnard Observatory (approx. ¼ mile away); Documenting the Blues (approx. ¼ mile away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in University.
Related marker. Click here for another marker that is related to this marker.
Also see . . . Wikipedia article on the "Integration of Mississippi universities, 1956–65.". (Submitted on April 18, 2017, by Mark Hilton of Montgomery, Alabama.)
Categories. • African Americans • Civil Rights • Education •
Credits. This page was last revised on April 18, 2017. This page originally submitted on April 18, 2017, by Mark Hilton of Montgomery, Alabama. This page has been viewed 101 times since then. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on April 18, 2017, by Mark Hilton of Montgomery, Alabama.