Amory in Monroe County, Mississippi — The American South (East South Central)
Amory's Tribute to the Heroes of 1861—1865
to the Heroes of
List of Members Stonewall Camp #427, Amory, Monroe County, MS
To the women of the Confederacy whose pious ministrations to our wounded soldiers soothed the last hours of those who died for from the objects of their tenderest love: whose domestic labors contributed much to supply the wants of our defenders in the field whose zealous faith in our cause shone a guiding star undimmed by the darkest clouds of war. Whose fortitude sustained them under all the privations to which they were subjected; whose annual tribute expresses their enduring grief, love, and reverence for our sacred dead, and whose patriotism will teach their children to emulate the deeds of our revolutionary sires. Jefferson Davis
Captains from Monroe County from 1861-1865, from Rogers Company E, 14th Mississippi Infantry
Erected 1924 by the City of Amory.
Location. 33° 59.101′ N, Touch for map. Located within Frisco Park. Marker is at or near this postal address: 104 South Main Street, Amory MS 38821, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 11 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Gilmore Sanitarium (approx. 0.6 miles away); Becker Post Office (approx. 0.6 miles away); Chickasaw Cession (approx. one mile away); Mound Cemetery (approx. 1˝ miles away); Cotton Gin Port (approx. 2.4 miles away); Bienville's Fort (approx. 3.7 miles away); Camargo 1847 (approx. 9.4 miles away); Wise's Gap 1816 (approx. 10.7 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Amory.
Regarding Amory's Tribute to the Heroes of 1861—1865. Description: "Full-length figure of a uniformed Confederate soldier stands atop a square base on a pedestal. The figure holds his rifle by the barrel, butt on the ground. A relief of the St. Andrew's Cross flag appears on the front of the pedestal, above the inscription." ~ Smithsonian American Art Museum
Cost of the monument was $2,500. It originally stood in the intersection of First Avenue & Main Street before being moved to Frisco Park. One reference gives the relocation date as March 23, 1939 and an attached excerpt from "Monroe
Categories. • War, US Civil •
Credits. This page was last revised on April 18, 2017. This page originally submitted on April 18, 2017, by Mark Hilton of Montgomery, Alabama. This page has been viewed 107 times since then and 14 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5. submitted on April 18, 2017, by Mark Hilton of Montgomery, Alabama.