East Lansing in Ingham County, Michigan — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
Collegeville / East Lansing
In 1849 when D. Robert Burcham settled in this vicinity, Chippewa and Ottawa Indians lived along the Red Cedar River. Burcham journeyed here on the Indian trail that became the Grand River Road, also known as the Lansing-Howell Road. In 1855 the state legislature founded the Michigan Agricultural College (present-day Michigan State University) on one square mile of woodland. By 1857 seven campus buildings and seven farmhouses, located within a two mile radius of College Hall (where Beaumont Tower now stands), constituted the community. In 1887 Professors W. J. Beal and Rolla C. Carpenter platted the first subdivision, naming it Collegeville. The area is now bounded by Michigan Avenue, Harrison Avenue, Oak and Beal streets. In 1884 the community's first post office, Agricultural College, Michigan, was established on campus.
A half-century after the Grand River plank was built in 1850, street cars and interurban railroads linked the state capital to the Michigan Agricultural College. The end of the streetcar line formed a wye (turn-around triangle) at the intersection of Ann, Albert and M.A.C. streets. In 1907 a committee, led by Agricultural College postmaster Charles Collingwood, proposed a charter for "College Park" to the state legislature. On May 8, 1907, following
Erected 1993 by Bureau of History, Michigan Department of State. (Marker Number L1894.)
Marker series. This marker is included in the Michigan Historical Commission marker series.
Location. 42° 44.216′ N, 84° 29.019′ W. Marker is in East Lansing, Michigan, in Ingham County. Marker is at the intersection of Abbot Road and Linden Street, on the right when traveling north on Abbot Road. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 410 Abbot Road, East Lansing MI 48823, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Masonic Temple (approx. 0.2 miles away); "That a Ladies Course be Organized" (approx. ¼ mile away); Alice B. Cowles House (approx. ¼ mile away); Walter Adams Field (approx. 0.3 miles away); Women's Building (approx. 0.3 miles away); The Nation's Pioneer Land-Grant University (approx. 0.3 miles away); Michigan State University (approx. 0.3 miles away); The Rededication of the Beaumont Tower Bells (approx. 0.3 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in East Lansing.
Categories. • Education • Settlements & Settlers •
Credits. This page was last revised on April 22, 2017. This page originally submitted on April 22, 2017, by Joel Seewald of Madison Heights, Michigan. This page has been viewed 105 times since then. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on April 22, 2017, by Joel Seewald of Madison Heights, Michigan.