Vienna Township Green and Cemetery / Vienna Township
Vienna Township Green and Cemetery were created on June 20, 1810, when Ephraim Root and Uriel Holmes, Jr., deeded to Vienna Presbyterian Church members eight acres of “cleared & improved” land “North West of the Centre Point.” Historic structures standing on the Green are Vienna Presbyterian Church (1854); Vienna Center School (before 1872), now serving as Copper Penny Masonic Lodge; and Vienna Methodist Church (1849-50). The Soldiers and Sailors Monument was dedicated in 1889. Vienna Township Cemetery is the site of the Township’s first burial (1805), of pioneer Abiel Bartholomew. Interred here are soldiers of the nation’s wars dating back to the American Revolution; Helen L. Betts (1843-1910), the first woman to receive a medical degree in Mahoning Valley; and Lulie Mackey Wess (1866-1934), the first woman licensed to practice law in Trumbull County.
The Connecticut Land Company surveyed Vienna Township as Township 4, Range 2, in 1798. The Township’s proprietors were Ephraim Root, Uriel Holmes, Jr., and Timothy Burr. Survey members Dennis Clark Palmer, Isaac Flower, and Samuel Hutchins and their families were the first to settle here in 1799. Between 1810 and 1840, Vienna was a center for the wooden works clock industry in Trumbull County and the Connecticut Western Reserve, with six factories located amid farms, sawmills, and quarries. After coal was discovered in 1866, over twenty mines were opened, bringing boom times for two decades. Vienna’s miners helped to bring about Ohio’s first mining safety law in 1874. Vienna was the birthplace of abolitionist and attorney John Hutchins (1812-1891), who represented Trumbull and Ashtabula counties in the United States Congress (1859-1863) and raised troops during the Civil War.
Erected 2014 by Vienna Historical Society. (Marker Number 30-78.)
Location. 41° 14.283′ N, 80° 39.9′ W. Marker is in Vienna, Ohio, in Trumbull County. Marker is on Warren-Sharon Road (Ohio Route 82) 0.1 miles from Youngstown-Kingsville Road (Ohio Route 193), on the left when traveling east. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Vienna OH 44473, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 9 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. William McKinley (approx. 6.6 miles away); William McKinley Birthplace (approx. 6.6 miles away); Crandall Park (approx. 7.4 miles away); Old Erie Lodge No. 3 Free and Accepted Masons (approx. 8.1 miles away); Commemorative Ingot (approx. 8.1 miles away); Leicester King / The Underground Railroad on the Warren-Ashtabula Turnpike (approx. 8.1 miles away); First Presbyterian Church (approx. 8.1 miles away); John Stark Edwards House (approx. 8.1 miles away).
Categories. • Architecture • Cemeteries & Burial Sites • Churches, Etc. • Settlements & Settlers •
Credits. This page was last revised on May 3, 2017. This page originally submitted on April 29, 2017. This page has been viewed 70 times since then. Photo 1. submitted on April 29, 2017, by Shirley Wajda of Vienna, Ohio. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.
Editor’s want-list for this marker. Photo of opposite side of marker. • Can you help?