Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
St Augustine in Saint Johns County, Florida — The American South (South Atlantic)
 

Lighthouse and Keepers House

Lighthouse built 1871-1874, House built 1876

 
 
Lighthouse and Keepers House Marker image. Click for full size.
By James R. Murray, April 24, 2017
1. Lighthouse and Keepers House Marker
Inscription. The St. Augustine Lighthouse began as a Spanish watchtower and is St. Augustine’s oldest brick structure. Rare proof exists of African Americans on site during its construction. The 1876 house includes an uncommon coquina basement that stored supplies delivered by steamship until 1927. Six Coastguardsmen stood watch during WWII. In 1970, fire devastated the dwelling. Fortunately, a determined Junior Service League restored the house, tower, and Fresnel lens. The St. Augustine Lighthouse and Maritime museum, a non-profit, accepted ownership and responsibility for the light itself from the US Coast Guard in 2002. Today, it is a private aid to navigation. The remains of many shipwrecks validate this beacon’s purpose on an everchanging coastline.

Listed in the National Register of Historic Places by the U.S. Department of the Interior.
 
Location. 29° 53.136′ N, 81° 17.29′ W. Marker is in St Augustine, Florida, in Saint Johns County. Marker can be reached from Lighthouse Avenue near Carver Street East, on the left when traveling south. Touch for map. Marker is on the front of the museum building in the complex. Marker is at or near this postal address: 81 Lighthouse Avenue, Saint Augustine FL 32080, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 2 miles
Lighthouse and Keepers House Marker image. Click for full size.
By James R. Murray, April 24, 2017
2. Lighthouse and Keepers House Marker
Location of marker in front of the museum building
of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Sentinels of the Coast (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); St. Augustine on Anastasia Island (approx. 0.2 miles away); Old Spanish Quarries (approx. 0.4 miles away); Davis Shores (approx. 1.1 miles away); Mission of Nuestra Señora del Rosario de La Punta (approx. 1.2 miles away); The Powder House Lot / St Johns County (approx. 1.2 miles away); Major Dade and His Command Monuments (approx. 1.3 miles away); Dade Pyramids (approx. 1.3 miles away).
 
Also see . . .  St. Augustine Lighthouse & Maritime Museum. (Submitted on May 4, 2017.)
 
Categories. African AmericansEnvironmentMan-Made FeaturesWaterways & Vessels
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on May 4, 2017. This page originally submitted on April 29, 2017, by James R. Murray of Elkton, Florida. This page has been viewed 99 times since then. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on April 29, 2017, by James R. Murray of Elkton, Florida. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page.
Paid Advertisement