Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Campeche in Municipality of Campeche, Mexico — The Southeast (Yucatan Peninsula)
 

Bastion of Our Lady of Solitude

 
 
Bastion of Our Lady of Solitude Marker image. Click for full size.
By J. Makali Bruton, January 22, 2017
1. Bastion of Our Lady of Solitude Marker
Inscription.
Baluarte de Nuestra Señora de la Soledad
Este baluarte fue construido alrededor de 1690, donde se ubicaba la fortificación conocida como El Bonete en 1610. Es el tercero y más grande del sistema defensivo de Campeche, que servía de apoyo a la Puerta de Mar. En 1766 contaba con 13 cañones, almacenes, dos corredores, una sala de armas y dos crujías para custodiar las piezas de artillería.

En la segunda mitad del siglo XIX fue abandonado y convertido en bodega de la aduana; después sirvió de cuartel a las fuerzas de la Federación; en 1929 albergó a familiares de oficiales y tropa de la Secretaría de Guerra; posteriormente fue restaurado y habilitado como museo y oficinas estatales del Instituto Nacional de Antropología e Historia. Actualmente es un importante museo de piezas prehispánicas mayas.

La planta arquitectónica de este inmueble es pentagonal. El baluarte cuenta con plaza de armas, rampa, un espacio para el cuerpo de guardia, adarve y gola, ésta última demolida a mediados del siglo pasado y reconstruida en el año 2000.

English:
Bastion of Our Lady of Solitude
This bulwark was built around 1690, where the fortification known as El Bonete (the bonnet) was located.

It is the third and largest defensive system of Campeche, and it served as a support to the Gate to the
Bastion of Our Lady of Solitude Marker image. Click for full size.
By J. Makali Bruton, January 22, 2017
2. Bastion of Our Lady of Solitude Marker
Sea. In 1766 it had 13 cannons, storerooms, two corridors, a weapon room and two bays where artillery was guarded.

In the second half of the 19th century it was abandoned and converted into a customs warehouse; later it served as headquarters to the forces of the Federation; in 1929, it was used to lodge relatives of officers and troops from the Ministry of Defense. It was subsequently restored as a museum and state offices for the National Institute of History and Anthropology. It is currently an important Museum of Mayan items.

The architectural floor plan of this building is pentagonal. The bulwark has a central square, a ramp, lodging for guards, and a chemin de ronde with a molding the edge of which is made up of circular arches in “s” figures, the latter demolished in the middle of the past century and rebuilt in the year 2000.
 
Location. 19° 50.772′ N, 90° 32.267′ W. Marker is in Campeche, Campeche, in Municipality of Campeche. Marker is on Calle 8 just west of Calle 57, on the left when traveling east. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Campeche 24000, Mexico.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. "The Palace" Cultural Center (within shouting distance of this marker); The Birthplace of Justo Sierra Méndez (within shouting
Bastion of Our Lady of Solitude Marker image. Click for full size.
By J. Makali Bruton, January 22, 2017
3. Bastion of Our Lady of Solitude Marker
This marker is a three-sided marker, with the third side indicating that one is in the historic area of Campeche.
distance of this marker); Gate to the Sea (within shouting distance of this marker); "La Española" Chapel (about 90 meters away, measured in a direct line); Campeche Library (about 120 meters away); Independence Square (about 120 meters away); Pedro Sainz de Baranda y Borreyro (about 120 meters away); “Tukulná” Handicrafts House (about 180 meters away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Campeche.
 
Categories. Colonial EraForts, CastlesMan-Made Features
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on April 29, 2017. This page originally submitted on April 29, 2017, by J. Makali Bruton of Querétaro, Mexico. This page has been viewed 61 times since then. Photos:   1, 2, 3. submitted on April 29, 2017, by J. Makali Bruton of Querétaro, Mexico.
Paid Advertisement