P.F.C. Carpellotti, U.S.M.C.
History of Carpellotti
This anchor is preserved here as a memorial to Louis Joseph “Eugene” Carpellotti, of the ship Destroyer Escort No. 720 launched at DeFoe, Bay City, Michigan. Sponsor for the occasion was Mrs. Sophie Carpellotti. U.S.M.C. Private Carpellotti, in whose honor the ship was named, was awarded the Silver Star Medal for his heroic action in connection with his death at Tulagi, Solomon Islands, landing on 7 August 1942.
Louis Joseph Carpellotti, born Feb. 13, 1918, in Old Forge, Pa., enlisted in the Marine Corps Sept. 22, 1940. Private First Class Carpellotti was killed in action at Tulagi, Solomon Islands, 7 August 1942 when he led a detachment to deliver a flanking fire on a Japanese position, enabling the rest of his squad to assault and capture the position.
The anchor in his memory was taken from the named ship USS Carpellotti, a valiant ship serving our country during World War II.
Location. 41° 22.163′ N, 75° 44.189′ W. Marker is in Old Forge, Pennsylvania, in Lackawanna County. Marker is on Main Street south of Railroad Street, on the left when traveling south. Touch for map. Memorial is on the Borough Hall grounds. Marker is at or near this postal address: 310 South Main Street, Old Forge PA 18518, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers
Regarding P.F.C. Carpellotti, U.S.M.C.. PFC Carpellotti served in Company C, 1st Marine Raider Battalion.
Also see . . .
1. PFC Louis J. Carpellotti at Find-A-Grave. (Submitted on April 30, 2017, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania.)
2. USS Carpellotti (APD-136). (Submitted on April 30, 2017, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania.)
Categories. • Patriots & Patriotism • War, World II •
Credits. This page was last revised on May 14, 2017. This page originally submitted on April 30, 2017, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania. This page has been viewed 75 times since then and 5 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on April 30, 2017, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania.