Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
McDonough in Henry County, Georgia — The American South (South Atlantic)
 

McDonough Public Library

 

—Heritage Park Historical Village —

 
McDonough Public Library Marker image. Click for full size.
By Mark Hilton, April 29, 2017
1. McDonough Public Library Marker
Inscription. This building served as McDonough's library from 1953 until the 1970s. George Alexander, president of Planter's Warehouse and Lumber Company, donated one of their storage buildings in order to get a city library started. It remained in use as a library until a permanent building was specially constructed for a new city library in the early 1970s.
 
Location. 33° 26.508′ N, 84° 7.25′ W. Marker is in McDonough, Georgia, in Henry County. Marker can be reached from Heritage Park Trail north of Lake Dow Road. Touch for map. Located within the Heritage Park Historical Village. Marker is at or near this postal address: 101 Lake Dow Road, McDonough GA 30252, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 2 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Ola Schoolhouse (a few steps from this marker); Steam Locomotive (a few steps from this marker); Detached Cookhouse (within shouting distance of this marker); Clements Log Cabin (within shouting distance of this marker); Lane's Place (within shouting distance of this marker); Miller's Saw Mill Replica (within shouting distance of this marker); The Huey UH-1H Was the Work Horse of Vietnam
Former McDonough Public Library image. Click for full size.
By Mark Hilton, April 29, 2017
2. Former McDonough Public Library
(about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Henry County (approx. 1.6 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in McDonough.
 
Regarding McDonough Public Library. Henry County's first library building dedicated to the library system, a yellow-painted wood structure stood on John Frank Ward Boulevard in McDonough for more than 60 years before being moved to Heritage Park. While the warehouse was torn down in 1953, Planters Lumber co-founder George Alexander donated the structure next to his brick cotton warehouse for use and a library. It remained the library until a new facility was built on Sims Street in 1973.
 
Categories. Arts, Letters, MusicNotable Buildings
 
Heritage Park Historic Museum and Veterans Museum. image. Click for full size.
By Mark Hilton, April 29, 2017
3. Heritage Park Historic Museum and Veterans Museum.
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on May 1, 2017. This page originally submitted on May 1, 2017, by Mark Hilton of Montgomery, Alabama. This page has been viewed 73 times since then. Photos:   1, 2, 3. submitted on May 1, 2017, by Mark Hilton of Montgomery, Alabama.
Paid Advertisement