Seattle in King County, Washington — The American West (Northwest)
Earl Layman Street Clock
Erected 1984 by Historic Seattle.
Location. 47° 35.994′ N, 122° 20.04′ W. Marker is in Seattle, Washington, in King County. Marker is at the intersection of 1st Avenue South and South Main Street, on the right when traveling north on 1st Avenue South. Touch for map. It's just south of the southeast corner of the intersection of First Avenue South and South Main Street. Marker is in this post office area: Seattle WA 98104, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Grand Central Hotel (within shouting Pioneer Square Historic District (within shouting distance of this marker); Information Booth (within shouting distance of this marker); Smith and Squire Buildings (within shouting distance of this marker); Site of the Smaller Fort (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Maynard Building (about 500 feet away); UPS - Celebrating 100 years of Service (about 500 feet away); Birthplace of United Parcel Service (about 500 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Seattle.
More about this marker. The plaque is located on the north side of the base of the street clock. The street clock is on the sidewalk edge in front of the west face of the Globe Building.
Regarding Earl Layman Street Clock. The street clock was actually installed by Young's Credit Jewelry in 1922 at 1213 3rd Avenue, Seattle.
It was manufactured for them by Seattle's clockmaker Joseph Mayer. The internal clock works were manufactured by E. Howard & Company.
In 1928 Young's moved the clock with their store to 1433 4th Avenue. It was there until 1967. For the last 5 years or so it was owned by the Dean Black family, who drove downtown from their home in the Ravenna neighborhood to wind the clock.
In 1967 the Blacks moved the clock to their home at 5746 17th Ave NE. It was still there in 1980 when Earl Layman and his staff completed a thematic landmark designation for all of the nine historic street clocks still on Seattle's streets. This clock was not included because it was in the Blacks' back yard.
Historic Seattle acquired the clock from the Blacks and had it restored by Jerry Martin. It was installed here in 1984, with the plaque embedded.
Like the F. X. McRory clock (reinstalled from private hands in 1989) it is covered as part of the Pioneer Square Historic District but is not one of the nine landmarked clocks.
Categories. • Man-Made Features •
Credits. This page was last revised on May 3, 2017. This page originally submitted on May 2, 2017, by Rob Ketcherside of Seattle, Washington. This page has been viewed 57 times since then. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on May 2, 2017, by Rob Ketcherside of Seattle, Washington. • Syd Whittle was the editor who published this page.