Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Dayton in Lyon County, Nevada — The American Mountains (Southwest)
 

Carson & Colorado Railroad

 
 
Carson & Colorado Railroad Marker image. Click for full size.
By Jim Cirner
1. Carson & Colorado Railroad Marker
Inscription. By 1880 the ores of the Comstock had dwindled and the men who founded the Virginia & Truckee Railroad and owned most of the mills on the Comstock needed to restore their high level profits. Mining bonanzas in the southern deserts set a plan afoot to bring ore and new profits to the Comstock. A mining railroad starting from the V&T in Mound House would go all the way to the Colorado River in Arizona — the Carson & Colorado Railroad.

Rails passed through Dayton in November 1880, in 1881 the first depot was erected at Dayton. Mining developments then drew the railroad from Colorado to Owens Valley ending at Deeler, California in July 1883. Rail traffic boomed in the 1880ís but by 1900 profits declined and the line was sold. Unfortunately for Dayton, in 1905 the “Hazen Cutoff” was put through to the Transcontinental Railroad and the line from Churchill to Mound House was bypassed. Various segments were abandoned over the years with the last remnant in the Owens Valley running until 1960.

Use of the Dayton Depot diminished after the 1905 bypass and the line through Dayton was completely abandoned in 1934. The depot was converted to a private residence and in the 1950ís it was moved to the corner with Main St. to make way for Hwy 50E. Lyon County purchased the depot in 2007 using federal highway funds won by the Historical Society of Dayton Valley, which also became the steward of the depot. Today it is one of only three original C&C passenger depots remaining, and the only one located in Nevada.
 
Erected 2016 by Snowshoe Thompson Chapter #1827 Slim Princess Chapter #395 of The Ancient and Honorable Order of E Clampus Vitus.
 
Marker series. This marker is included in the E Clampus Vitus marker series.
 
Location. 39° 14.19′ N, 119° 35.387′ W. Marker is in Dayton, Nevada, in Lyon County. Marker is at the intersection of Main Street and Lincoln Highway (Interstate 50), on the left when traveling east on Main Street. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 58 Main Street, Dayton NV 89403, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Chinatown (within shouting distance of this marker); Dayton (within shouting distance of this marker); The Pony Express (within shouting distance of this marker); Union Hotel & Post Office (within shouting distance of this marker); Chief Truckee (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Nevada Added Station (about 300 feet away); Odeon Saloon - Billiard Parlour Dayton Lodge No. 5 I.O.O.F. (about 300 feet away); Hall's Station (approx. 0.2 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Dayton.
 
Categories. Railroads & Streetcars
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on May 3, 2017. This page originally submitted on May 2, 2017, by Frank Gunshow Sanchez of Hollister, California. This page has been viewed 92 times since then. Photo   1. submitted on May 2, 2017, by Frank Gunshow Sanchez of Hollister, California. • Syd Whittle was the editor who published this page.
 
Editor’s want-list for this marker. Wide area view of the marker and its surroundings. • Photo of the depot. • Can you help?
Paid Advertisement