Stockbridge in Henry County, Georgia — The American South (South Atlantic)
Floyd Chapel Baptist Church
Floyd Chapel was moved here in 1878 and has endured as a cornerstone of Stockbridge's African American community. During the late 1920s, another wood-framed church was constructed at this same site. In 1949 that building was torn down and a new church was erected with the existing blocks.
Rev. Martin Luther King, Sr., father of renowned civil rights leader and Nobel Prize winner, Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr., worshiped at Floyd Chapel as a child with his mother Delia Lindsay King. He received his calling to the ministry at age 10. Later, at age 15, he was ordained as a minister and preached his first sermon in this church. In adulthood, King, Sr. would as "Daddy King," a well-respected minister, influential community organizer, and early champion of civil rights in the Jim Crow South.
Erected 2016 by the Stockbridge Main Street Program.
Location. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 104 1st Street, Stockbridge GA 30281, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 7 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. The Orphan Brigade (about 700 feet away, measured in a direct line); The Right Wing at Stockbridge (approx. ¼ mile away); March and Counter-march (approx. 3.9 miles away); Old Stagecoach Road (approx. 5.2 miles away); Shingleroof Campground (approx. 6½ miles away); Gen. S. D. Lee's Corps (was approx. 6½ miles away but has been reported missing. ); Site of McPeak House (was approx. 6.6 miles away but has been reported missing. ); Kilpatrick's Raid (approx. 6.6 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Stockbridge.
Categories. • African Americans • Churches & Religion • Civil Rights •
Credits. This page was last revised on May 3, 2017. This page originally submitted on May 3, 2017, by Mark Hilton of Montgomery, Alabama. This page has been viewed 81 times since then. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on May 3, 2017, by Mark Hilton of Montgomery, Alabama.