Sandersville in Washington County, Georgia — The American South (South Atlantic)
The Brown House
A Bed and a Meal for General Sherman
—March to the Sea Heritage Trail —
Union Major General William T. Sherman chose this house as his overnight headquarters on Saturday, November 26, 1864. The men of his army's Left Wing, who had entered Washington County on the 24th, moved into Sandersville and camped in a broad meadow across the road from the house. Woodlawn Terrace was selected because it was spacious. From its hilltop location General Sherman also had a clear view of the road from the center of town and the nearby tents and campfires. He had supper with Mrs. Brown and her four children, a 15-year-old daughter and three younger sons.
A story is told about Federal soldiers who came into the yard seeking hidden valuables. Suspicious of a child's grave, they began digging it up when the cook saw them from the kitchen and ran out shouting, brandishing a large butcher knife, and chased them away.
The house contains a "fainting" couch
General Sherman held the Left Wing of his army at Sandersville until he received word that this Right Wing, marching from the southwest, had come abreast the Left Wing near Tennille along the line of the Central of Georgia Railroad. Once all was ready, Sherman departed Woodlawn Terrace with his staff and cavalry escort on Sunday morning, November 27th, riding through Sandersville and moving south over a sandy road through pine woods to Tennille. There he met the Right Wings 17th Corps with whom he continued his march to the sea.
Changes and additions were made to the house in 1905. The Washington County Historical Society purchased the house in 1989
Top left: William Gainer Brown & Miriah Mitchell Brown
Bottom left: Union Major General William T. Sherman
Middle: "Treasure Seekers" (Harper's Weekly)
Top right & Background watermark: The Brown House in 1864
(by Shawn Veal, used by permission)
Erected by Georgia Civil War Heritage Trails, Inc. (Marker Number L18.)
Marker series. This marker is included in the Georgia Civil War Trails marker series.
Location. 32° 59.315′ N, 82° 48.589′ W. Marker is in Sandersville, Georgia, in Washington County. Marker can be reached from North Harris Street (Georgia Route 15) south of East McCarty Street, on the right when traveling north. Touch for map. The Brown House is the home of the Washington County Historical Society and a museum. Marker is at or near this postal address: 268 North Harris Street, Sandersville GA 31082, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Washington County Courthouse (approx. 0.4 miles away); Washington County World War II Memorial (approx. 0.4 miles away); Pvt. Willie Lee Duckworth Sr. (approx. 0.4 miles away); Washington County World War II Monuments Washington County Korean Monument (approx. 0.4 miles away); Washington County Korean War Memorial (approx. 0.4 miles away); Washington County World War I Monument (approx. 0.4 miles away); Washington County Viet Nam War Monument (approx. 0.4 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Sandersville.
Also see . . . Touring the Brown House (originally called Woodlawn Terrace), with photos. (Submitted on May 5, 2017, by Mark Hilton of Montgomery, Alabama.)
Categories. • Notable Places • War, US Civil •
Credits. This page was last revised on May 6, 2017. This page originally submitted on May 5, 2017, by Mark Hilton of Montgomery, Alabama. This page has been viewed 93 times since then. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on May 5, 2017, by Mark Hilton of Montgomery, Alabama.