Near Lawrence in Douglas County, Kansas — The American Midwest (Upper Plains)
Lawrence and the Old Trails
Travelers often stopped in Lawrence after its establishment in 1854. The town became famous as a free-state headquarters in the territorial fight over slavery, with some of its more prominent citizens helping to transport slaves to freedom along the underground railroad. Proslavery men responded in 1856 by sacking the town and destroying the newspaper office. Lawrence underwent its greatest trial in 1863 when Confederate guerillas led by William C. Quantrill burned the town and killed more than 150 men and boys. Lawrence soon rebuilt, and is home to the University of Kansas and the Haskell Indian Nations University.
Erected by Kansas State Historical Society & Kansas
Location. 39° 1.138′ N, 95° 8.242′ W. Marker is near Lawrence, Kansas, in Douglas County. Marker is on Interstate 70 at milepost 209, in the median. Touch for map. The marker is in the Lawrence turnpike service area. Marker is in this post office area: Lawrence KS 66044, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 6 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Kansas River Flood Levels (approx. 5.2 miles away); 4 East 7th Street (approx. 5.4 miles away); Eudora's First Bell (approx. 5.4 miles away); 701 Main Street (approx. 5.4 miles away); 700 Main Street (approx. 5.4 miles away); 707 Main Street (approx. 5.4 miles away); 711 Main Street (approx. 5.4 miles away); 715 Main Street (approx. 5˝ miles away).
Categories. • Abolition & Underground RR • Native Americans • Settlements & Settlers • War, US Civil •
Credits. This page was last revised on May 6, 2017. This page originally submitted on May 6, 2017, by William J. Toman of Green Lake, Wisconsin. This page has been viewed 129 times since then and 28 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on May 6, 2017, by William J. Toman of Green Lake, Wisconsin.