A Neighborhood Goes to Market
Lexington Market was established in 1782 on land donated to the City of Baltimore by Revolutionary War hero and former Maryland Governor John Eager Howard. Along with the City’s other public markets, Lexington Market provided fresh food for the area’s residents and served as an important social gathering place. During the early 1800s the neighborhood surrounding the market was residential in nature and consisted primarily of rowhouses. These early rowhouses were simply designed and solidly constructed by speculative builders for the city’s working-class population.
By the second half of the 19th century the neighborhood surrounding Lexington Market was rapidly becoming more commercial, with businesses ranging from hat makers to steam laundries opening along the neighborhood’s principal streets. Along with Lexington Market, this commercial growth provided opportunity for the City’s hard-working and expanding immigrant population.
After the Civil War, new architectural
The neighborhood’s role as a commercial destination continued into the 20th century and, as before, new buildings were being constructed that reflected the changing architectural styles of the times. Before World War I, the design of banks, theaters, and other public buildings in the neighborhood emphasized the classicism seen in ancient Greek and Roman architecture. The Baltimore General Dispensary (1911) reflects these classical influences in its massing and exterior details. By the 1920s and ‘30s, commercial buildings in the area were being designed in more modern styles that featured sleek lines, and simple, artistic motifs.
(Inscriptions under the images on the right)
Lexington Market, Male Grammar School No. 1, Baltimore General Dispensary, and Swiss Steam Laundry Building
Erected by University of Maryland.
Location. 39° 17.487′ N, 76° 37.484′ W. Marker is in Baltimore,
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Building Atop the Burying Ground (about 500 feet away, measured in a direct line); Among the Illustrious Men (about 600 feet away); Poe’s Baltimore (about 600 feet away); A La Memorie D’Edgar Allan Poe (about 600 feet away); A Monument to the Memory of Edgar Allan Poe (about 600 feet away); Westminster Church and Cemetery (about 600 feet away); Westminster Hall & Burying Ground: (about 600 feet away); John McDonogh (about 600 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Baltimore.
Categories. • Architecture • Industry & Commerce •
Credits. This page was last revised on July 17, 2017. This page originally submitted on May 6, 2017, by Don Morfe of Baltimore, Maryland. This page has been viewed 98 times since then and 4 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on May 6, 2017, by Don Morfe of Baltimore, Maryland. 3, 4. submitted on May 27, 2017, by Don Morfe of Baltimore, Maryland. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.