Near Davisboro in Washington County, Georgia — The American South (South Atlantic)
New Hope Methodist Church
"We camp by side of...a neat frame church"
—March to the Sea Heritage Trail —
In November 1864 the war came to New Hope. The Federal 15th & 17th Corps crossed the Oconee River at Ball's Ferry on Saturday, November 26th. By the 28th the 17th Corps, commanded by Major General Francis P. Blair, Jr., had marched northeast. They were joined by Major General William T. Sherman and his staff at Widow Peacock's home (near the current intersection of Old Savannah Road and Georgia Highway 15). Their destination that day was "the nearest parallel road to the railroad, on the south side, south of Williamson's swamp creek." The column of more than 11,000 infantrymen turned east-southeast
General Blair and several other officers reportedly camped in the church, even taking their horses inside and tethering them to columns. To stay warm they burned hymn books, church records and some of the building's wood siding in the stove in the middle of the church. But General Sherman camped outside, as Major Henry Hitchcock of his staff recorded in his diary, "We camp by side of road, in open space with pine woods in immediate rear, and on right of camp a neat frame church." The following day, Tuesday, November 29th, Generals Sherman and Blair with the troops of the 17th Corps continued their march generally southeast, past Tarver's Mill and just south of Bartow, along the Savannah road.
Top left: Bishop Francis Asbury
Middle top: Union Major General Francis P. Blair, Jr.
Middle bottom: General Sherman's Headquarters "Fly" Tent (Harper's Weekly)
Top right: Approximate routes of the "March to the Sea" through middle Georgia in November 1864
(adopted from the Atlas to Accompany the Official Records of the Union and Confederate Armies)
Background watermark: New Hope Methodist Church
Marker series. This marker is included in the Georgia Civil War Trails marker series.
Location. 32° 55.853′ N, 82° 36′ W. Marker is near Davisboro, Georgia, in Washington County. Marker is at the intersection of New Hope Church Road and Heards Bridge Road on New Hope Church Road. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: New Hope Church Road, Davisboro GA 31018, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 9 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Riddleville (approx. 4.2 miles away); Historic Highways (approx. 4.3 miles away); Sherman's Left Wing (approx. 4.4 miles away); Tarver's Mill (approx. 4.7 miles away); Fenn's Bridge (approx. 7.8 miles away); Bartow (approx. 8.1 miles away); Site of Fort Wood (approx. 8.1 miles away); Spier's Turnout (approx. 8.1 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Davisboro.
Categories. • Churches & Religion • War, US Civil •
Credits. This page was last revised on May 7, 2017. This page originally submitted on May 6, 2017, by Mark Hilton of Montgomery, Alabama. This page has been viewed 125 times since then and 18 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on May 6, 2017, by Mark Hilton of Montgomery, Alabama.