Bamberg in Bamberg County, South Carolina — The American South (South Atlantic)
Bamberg County Confederate Monument
(West face )
" Lest We Forget "
Erected by the
Erected 1911 by Francis Marion Bamberg Chapter, U.D.C.
Marker series. This marker is included in the United Daughters of the Confederacy marker series.
Location. 33° 17.906′ N, 81° 2.071′ W. Marker is in Bamberg, South Carolina, in Bamberg County. Marker is on North Main Street (U.S. 601) near 2nd Street, on the right when traveling north. Touch for map. In front of Bamburg County Courthouse. Marker is in this post office area: Bamberg SC 29003, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 10 other markers are within 12 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Bamberg ( about 700 feet away, measured in a direct line); Carlisle Military School ( approx. 0.3 miles away); Pinewood Plantation ( approx. 3.6 miles away); Woodlands ( approx. 4.6 miles away); Voorhees College ( approx. 5.6 miles away); AT&T Building ( approx. Denmark Depot ( approx. 6.6 miles away); Salem Methodist Church ( approx. 10.7 miles away); Mountain Home Plantation ( approx. 11.6 miles away); Olar S.C. ( approx. 11.9 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Bamberg.
1. Francis Marion Bamberg Chapter, U.D.C.
In April 1910, the women organized the Francis Marion Bamberg Chapter, U.D.C. They named it in honor of Francis Marion Bamberg, who was called "general" because of his position as brigadier general on the staff of Governor Wade Hampton. Bamberg enlisted as a corporal in Company A, the Hampton Legion Artillery Battalion. He remained with this company an was promoted to lieutenant when the company was detached from the Hampton Legion and redesignated, first, as the Washington Artillery, and later, as Hart's Company Horse Artillery. (Source: A Guide to Confederate Monuments in South Carolina: "Passing the Silent Cup" by Robert S. Seigler, 1997, pg. 62.)
2. Bamberg County Confederate Monument
Under the guidance of chapter president Mrs. Frank G. Bamberg, the members untiringly took up the work of acquiring the funds -- $3,000 donated by 400 subscribers. The marble figure of a Confederate private at parade rest was carved in Italy. It stands on an eighteen-foot shaft of South Carolina granite, which rests on an eleven-foot pedestal. The women of the U.D.C. left the original eastern side, now the northeastern side, blank. They intended to place a bronze tablet on the east side engraved with the names of the Confederate soldiers who were from the part of South Carolina that became Bamberg County in 1897. This goal was never met.
The cornerstone was laid on Confederate Memorial Day, May 10, 1911...Bamberg's businesses and schools were closed for the exercises. Six hundred people, including two hundred school children, attended. Rev. W.h. Rodgers, pastor of the Bamberg Methodist Church, gave the opening prayer. The master of ceremonies was Dr. James Benjamin Black, a physician and state senator who had begun the process that resulted in the formation of Bamberg County...The thirty-five foot monument was unveiled on October 26, 1911. The monument was moved to its present location in 1950. (Source: A Guide to Confederate Monuments in South Carolina: "Passing the Silent Cup" by Robert S. Seigler, 1997, pgs. 63-64.)
— Submitted February 28, 2009, by Brian Scott of Anderson, South Carolina.
Categories. • War, US Civil •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on August 16, 2008, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina. This page has been viewed 1,305 times since then and 92 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on August 16, 2008, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina. • Craig Swain was the editor who published this page.