Andrew Carnegie credited libraries with opening the "treasures of knowledge and imagination through which youth may ascend." This belief led him to provide funding for more than 1,600 libraries across the United States. Designed by local architect Edwin A. Bowd, Lansing's library was typical of Carnegie libraries. Its simple style featured a classical facade that suggested a return to the enlightened days of antiquity. The original interior included spaces with specific functions, such as the reading room and the children's room, as well as an auditorium on the second floor. The libraries interior design reflected changing cultural attitudes toward the role of libraries in the United States, as libraries put more emphasis on public access, especially use by children and young adults.
In 1902 steel magnate Andrew Carnegie offered Lansing $35,000 to build a new public library. Persuaded by the tireless efforts of local women's groups, voters accepted the gift and agreed to pay $3,500 annually to maintain the building. According to The State Republican, State Librarian sought Carnegie's donation in the belief that "the future of any nation depends upon the intellectual development of its citizens." A crowd of eager residents was present to dedicate the new library on February 22, 1905. The library
Erected 2011 by Michigan Historical Commission - Michigan Historical Center. (Marker Number L2226.)
Marker series. This marker is included in the Carnegie Libraries, and the Michigan Historical Commission marker series.
Location. 42° 44.24′ N, 84° 33.277′ W. Marker is in Lansing, Michigan, in Ingham County. Marker is on W. Shiawassee Street, on the right when traveling west. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 210 W. Shiawassee Street, Lansing MI 48933, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Lansing Community College (within shouting distance of this marker); Mack-e-te-be-nessy “Andrew J. Blackbird” c. 1815-1908 (about 600 feet away, measured in a direct line); Drs. Pearl Kendrick and Grace Eldering (about 700 feet away); Jonas Salk 1914-1995 (about 800 feet away); John T. Herrmann House (about Muzyad Yahkoob “Danny Thomas” 1914-1991 (approx. 0.2 miles away); William Crapo “Billy” Durant 1861-1947 (approx. 0.2 miles away); Rogers-Carrier House (approx. 0.2 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Lansing.
Additional keywords. Public Buildings.
Categories. • Charity & Public Work • Education • Industry & Commerce •
Credits. This page was last revised on May 23, 2017. This page originally submitted on May 10, 2017, by Bill Rieske of Lansing, Michigan. This page has been viewed 121 times since then. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on May 22, 2017, by Bill Rieske of Lansing, Michigan. 3. submitted on May 10, 2017, by Bill Rieske of Lansing, Michigan. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.