Frederick Douglass-Isaac Myers Maritime Park and Museum
The Frederick Douglass-Isaac Myers Maritime Park and Museum, one of several Living Classrooms Foundation facilities, opened in June 2006. Following the Living Classrooms Foundation motto, “Learning by Doing,” the Douglass-Myers Museum engages visitors through interactive exhibits, hands-on activities, and special programs. Museum exhibits recount and reclaim stories of Baltimore’s African American communities as they developed in and Baltimore’s harbor in Historic Fells Point.
Frederick Douglass came to Fells Point in 1826, when he was eight years old and remained here until he was 20, when he ran away to claim this freedom. Isaac Myers was born free here in 1835, worked as a caulker before going on to found with 14 other African Americans, the first black owned and operated shipyard in the United States. The shipyard, called the Chesapeake Marine Railway and Dry Dock Company, was a highly successful enterprise that flourished here for 18 years.
Location. 39° 16.778′ N, 76° 35.779′
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Archaeological Remains (here, next to this marker); Frederick Douglass Sculpture (a few steps from this marker); The Marine Railway (within shouting distance of this marker); The Hankin Healthy Harbor Walking Tour (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); The Black Shipbuilders of the Chesapeake Bay (about 500 feet away); Association of Maryland Pilots (about 700 feet away); How Great Thou Art (approx. 0.2 miles away); It is now the world's largest music event. (approx. 0.2 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Baltimore.
Categories. • African Americans • Industry & Commerce • Waterways & Vessels •
Credits. This page was last revised on May 11, 2017. This page originally submitted on May 10, 2017, by Don Morfe of Baltimore, Md 21234. This page has been viewed 104 times since then and 9 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6. submitted on May 10, 2017, by Don Morfe of Baltimore, Md 21234. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.