Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Lansing in Ingham County, Michigan — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
 

Michigan National Guard Armory / 119th Field Artillery

 
 
Michigan National Guard Armory and Marker image. Click for full size.
By Bill Rieske, May 17, 2017
1. Michigan National Guard Armory and Marker
Inscription.
Michigan National Guard Armory
Built in 1924, the Lansing Armory in one of five Michigan National Guard Armories designed by state architect Lynn M. Fry. The front block contained military office; the large hall in the rear had room for unit drills, recreational activities and social gatherings. The drill floor sits on nine inches of sound-proof concrete. To the north a large brick riding hall provided space for horse-drawn artillery drills. Nearby stables housed the horses. Armory buildings also served as public gathering places, hosting boxing matches, circuses, and weddings, among other activities. This Military Gothic style building was listed in the National Register of Historic Places in 2010.

119th Field Artillery
The Michigan National Guard traces its history to the territorial volunteer militia. When it became the 119th Field Artillery in 1922, the Lansing unit had horse-drawn 75mm artillery. in 1933, the unit converted to truck-drawn 75mm artillery and, in 1940, to 115mm guns. Lansing based guardsmen have served in every war except the Vietnam conflict. At home, they have maintained peace during social unrest and aided citizens during times of natural disasters such as the 1980 Kalamazoo tornado and the 1976 Seney forest fire. In 2005, when the Michigan National Guard reorganized, the 119th Field
119th Field Artillery Marker image. Click for full size.
By Bill Rieske, May 24, 2017
2. 119th Field Artillery Marker
Artillery Headquarters moved to Charlotte. The State of Michigan closed the Lansing-Armory in 2007.
 
Erected 2013. (Marker Number L2255.)
 
Location. 42° 44.208′ N, 84° 31.543′ W. Marker is in Lansing, Michigan, in Ingham County. Marker is on Marshall St.. Touch for map. East Side of Marshall St. between Jerome and Saginaw Streets. Marker is in this post office area: Lansing MI 48912, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 2 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Church of the Resurrection / Monsignor John A. Gabriels (approx. mile away); Lansing Fire Station No. 8 (approx. 0.4 miles away); Union Depot (approx. 0.9 miles away); The Grand River / Grand River History (approx. 1.1 miles away); Ransom Eli Olds / Curved Dash Oldsmobile (approx. 1.2 miles away); First Olds Horseless Carriage (approx. 1.2 miles away); Michigan Pharmacists Association (approx. 1.2 miles away); Lansing's Labor Holiday (approx. 1.3 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Lansing.
 
Additional keywords. Designed by state architect Lynn M. Fry.
 
Categories. ArchitectureMilitary
 
Michigan National Guard Armory image. Click for full size.
circa 2015
3. Michigan National Guard Armory
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on May 30, 2017. This page originally submitted on May 11, 2017, by Bill Rieske of Lansing, Michigan. This page has been viewed 55 times since then. Photos:   1. submitted on May 18, 2017, by Bill Rieske of Lansing, Michigan.   2. submitted on May 24, 2017, by Bill Rieske of Lansing, Michigan.   3. submitted on May 11, 2017, by Bill Rieske of Lansing, Michigan. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.
Paid Advertisement