Orangeburg in Orangeburg County, South Carolina — The American South (South Atlantic)
Jewish Merchants/Jewish Life
Russell St., historic hub of Orangeburg's commercial life, was home to Jewish merchants for over 160 years. German Jews began settling in Orangeburg in the 1830s, followed in the next century by Eastern European Jews. Deopold Louis was likely the first Jewish merchant in town. Theodore Kohn, known as father of Orangeburg's graded schools, co-founded Ezekial & Kohn in 1868. By the mid-1900's as many as 15 stores downtown were Jewish owned. In 1996 Barshay & Marcus was the last to close.
Erected 2015 by The Jewish Historical Society of South Carolina. (Marker Number 38-41.)
Location. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 1161 Russell Street, Orangeburg SC 29115, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. The Two Old Guns Of Captain Henry Felder (about 400 feet away, measured in a direct line); Orangeburg Confederate Memorial (about 400 feet away); Court House Square (about 500 feet away); Pioneer Graveyard (approx. 0.3 miles away); Old Dixie Club Library (approx. 0.3 miles away); Williams Chapel A.M.E. Church (approx. 0.3 miles away); Church of the Redeemer (approx. 0.4 miles away); Judge Glover's Home (approx. 0.4 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Orangeburg.
Categories. • Churches, Etc. • Industry & Commerce •
Credits. This page was last revised on May 15, 2017. This page originally submitted on April 19, 2017, by Jane Ruschky of Columbia, South Carolina. This page has been viewed 121 times since then. Last updated on May 12, 2017, by Byron Hooks of Sandy Springs, Georgia. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on April 19, 2017, by Jane Ruschky of Columbia, South Carolina. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page.