Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Ciudad de Mexico, Ciudad de México, Mexico — The Central Highlands
 

Temple of San Hipólito y Casiano

 
 
Temple of San Hipólito y Casiano Marker image. Click for full size.
By J. Makali Bruton, January 23, 2017
1. Temple of San Hipólito y Casiano Marker
Inscription.
Templo de San Hipólito y Casiano.
Fue erigido en el siglo XVII en el sitio
ocupado antes por la Ermita de los Mártires
del siglo XVI construida en memoria de los
españoles caídos en la batalla que precedió a
la Noche Triste durante la conquista de
Tenochtitlán. Es referente de la veneración a
San Judas Tadeo.

English translation:
Temple of San Hipólito y Casiano.
This temple was constructed in the 17th century on the site of the Hermitage of the Martyrs, a 16th century church dedicated to the memory of the Spanish fallen in the battle prior to the “Night of Sorrows” during the conquest of Tenochtitlán. The temple is now dedicated to Saint Judas Thaddeaus.

 
Location. 19° 26.27′ N, 99° 8.811′ W. Marker is in Ciudad de Mexico, Ciudad de México. Marker is on Calle Zarco. Touch for map. The church is at the northwest corner of Paseo de la Reforma and Avenida Hidalgo. The nearest side street is Calle Zarco to the east of the church. Marker is at or near this postal address: 12 Zarco, Ciudad de Mexico, Ciudad de México 06300, Mexico.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. The Hospital of San Hipolito (within shouting distance of this marker); Angel Albino Corzo
The interior of the Temple of San Hipólito y Casiano image. Click for full size.
By J. Makali Bruton, January 23, 2017
2. The interior of the Temple of San Hipólito y Casiano
(about 150 meters away, measured in a direct line); Vicente Guerrero (about 210 meters away); Jesús Terán (about 240 meters away); Ignacio Ramírez (approx. half a kilometer away); Leandro Valle (approx. half a kilometer away); Miguel Lerdo de Tejada (approx. 0.6 kilometers away); Manuel Cepeda Peraza (approx. 0.6 kilometers away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Ciudad de Mexico.
 
Categories. Churches & ReligionColonial EraMan-Made FeaturesWars, Non-US
 
Temple of San Hipólito y Casiano Marker image. Click for full size.
By J. Makali Bruton, January 23, 2017
3. Temple of San Hipólito y Casiano Marker
The marker is to the right of the main entryway of the temple.
Temple of San Hipólito y Casiano image. Click for full size.
By J. Makali Bruton, January 23, 2017
4. Temple of San Hipólito y Casiano
The area immediately around the church is crowded with souvenir and other sales, making it difficult to get a clear photo.
Memorial to Martyred Mexican Priests at the Temple of San Hipólito y Casiano image. Click for full size.
By J. Makali Bruton, January 23, 2017
5. Memorial to Martyred Mexican Priests at the Temple of San Hipólito y Casiano
An earlier inscription at the Temple of San Hipólito y Casiano image. Click for full size.
By J. Makali Bruton, January 23, 2017
6. An earlier inscription at the Temple of San Hipólito y Casiano
This earlier inscription is found just outside of the church’s atrium walls, facing the street. It reads:
Tal fue la mortandad que en este lugar hicieron los aztecas a los españoles la noche del día 1 de julio de 1520 llamado por esto noche triste que después de haber entrado triunfantes a esta ciudad los conquistadores al año siguiente resolvieron edificar aquí una ermita que llamaron de los mártires y la dedicaron a san Hipólito por haber ocurrido la toma de la ciudad el día 13 de agosto en que se celebra este santo. Aquella capilla quedó a cargo del ayuntamiento de México quien acordó hacer en lugar de ella una iglesia mejor, que la que hoy existe y fue comenzada en 1599.

English translation:
Such was the death of the Spaniards at the hands of the Aztecs on the night of July 1, 1520, now known as the “Night of Sorrows”, that after having finally triumphantly entered this city a year later, the conquerors decided to erect a hermitage here that they called “Of The Martyrs”. It was dedicated to San Hippolytus, as that saint is celebrated on the day of their entry on August 13. That chapel was under the charge of the City Hall of Mexico City, who agreed to eventually build a better church, which is that which exists here today. Its construction was begun in 1599.
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on August 14, 2017. This page originally submitted on May 12, 2017, by J. Makali Bruton of Querétaro, Mexico. This page has been viewed 87 times since then. Photos:   1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6. submitted on May 12, 2017, by J. Makali Bruton of Querétaro, Mexico.
Paid Advertisement