Union Township Town Hall
The Union Township Hall was a center of community life from the time of its construction around 1907. The hall included the offices of township government, a community hall, and club meeting rooms, a rarer combination in the 21st century. Local government and services occupied the first floor. The second floor “opera house” retains many original features, including the stage and stage backdrops. The hall hosted many types of entertainment, including church choirs and the Knights of Pythias Band. Leaving the township’s possession, the hall was used by various owners for a church, art studio, and bed and breakfast.
The Wilson & Sons Manufacturing Company in South Lebanon was in part responsible for the existence of the hall. The company, which held the patent on their double-seamed powder keg, sold Union Township the lot for the building and donated another portion. James Wilson and his son-in-law, James T. McClelland were Union Township Trustees. The Wilson concern was on the South bank of the Little Miami River. On the opposite bank was Ahimaaz King’s Great Western Powder Company. These were two of the largest manufacturing companies of their kind in the late 19th century.
Erected 2017 by Warren County Foundation, Leganon Citizens National Bank, Warren County Historical Society & The Ohio History Connection. (Marker Number 18-83.)
Marker series. This marker is included in the Ohio Historical Society / The Ohio History Connection marker series.
Location. 39° 22.209′ N, 84° 12.775′ W. Marker is in South Lebanon, Ohio, in Warren County. Marker is on Section Street north of East McKinley Street, on the left when traveling north. Touch for map. Marker is on the right side of the building on Section Street. Marker is at or near this postal address: 100 East McKinley Street, South Lebanon OH 45065, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 5 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Deerfield- South Lebanon (approx. 0.4 miles away); The King Mansion / Ahimaaz King (1839-1909) (approx. 2 miles away); Gershom Moore Peters, LLD / Peters Cartridge Company (approx. 2.1 miles away); Mounts Station (approx. 2.2 miles away); Broadway Bridge (approx. 4.2 miles away); Lebanon Library / Harmon Hall (approx. 4.4 miles away); Christmas Tree Park (approx. 4.4 miles away); The Town Plat / The Tharp House (approx. 4.4 miles away).
Additional keywords. Knights of Pythias Miami Valley Lodge 703 Castle
Categories. • Notable Buildings •
Credits. This page was last revised on August 20, 2018. This page originally submitted on May 13, 2017, by Maryan Harrison of South Lebanon, Ohio. This page has been viewed 123 times since then. Photo 1. submitted on May 13, 2017, by Maryan Harrison of South Lebanon, Ohio. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.
Editor’s want-list for this marker. Photo of reverse side of marker. • Can you help?