St. Mark's Episcopal Church
Refuge for the “sick and wounded”
After the Battle of Gettysburg on July 1-3, 1863, Confederate Gen. Robert E. Lee's defeated Army of Northern Virginia passed near here as it marched south to the Potomac River, and there was heavy skirmishing in this area. The church again served as a hospital. The 8th Illinois Cavalry's regimental surgeon worked here while fighting took place in nearby Williamsport, five miles northwest. In August 1863, the St. Mark's congregation contributed $28.08 "for sick and wounded soldiers in this country".
The Church (completed 1849) was constructed with a balcony for slaves, as most of the early members were slaveholders. After the Civil War, some African Americans continued to worship here, and several former slaves are buried in the churchyard. Their graves are located to the left of the church, next to the cemetery wall.
Erected by Maryland Civil War Trail.
Marker series. This marker is included in the Maryland Civil War Trails marker series.
Location. 39° 33.083′ N, 77° 44.022′ W. Marker is near Boonsboro, Maryland, in Washington County. Marker can be reached from Lappans Road, on the right when traveling east. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Boonsboro MD 21713, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 4 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Jones’ Crossroads (approx. ¼ mile away); Jones’s Crossroads (approx. ¼ mile away); Council of War (approx. 1½ miles away); Booth’s Mill Bridge (approx. 1.6 miles away); Roxbury Mills Bridge (approx. 1.8 miles away); Rose's Mill Bridge (approx. 2.9 miles away); Claggett’s Millrace Bridge (approx. 3.3 miles away); Claggett's Mill Bridge (approx. 3.3 miles away).
Categories. • African Americans • Churches & Religion • War, US Civil •
Credits. This page was last revised on May 15, 2017. This page originally submitted on May 13, 2017, by William Glahn of Winchester, Virginia. This page has been viewed 107 times since then and 18 times this year. Photo 1. submitted on May 13, 2017, by William Glahn of Winchester, Virginia. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.