St. George, South Carolina — The American South (South Atlantic)
St. George Public High School/St. George Graded School
St. George Public High School
St. George High School was built in 1927 on the corner of Raysor and Ridge Sts. In 1936 the school district received a W.P.A. grant to build a new gymnasium. The building continued as a high school until 1956, when a new school was built nearby. It remained in use as an elementary school until 1972. In 2000 the building was renovated by Dorchester County and became a county service building.
St. George Graded School
The first free school in St. George was located at the corner of Whitridge and George Its. In 1884 it was moved to a two-story building near this site. In 1907 a new building replaced the first schoolhouse. It housed grades 1-10. In 1927 St. George High School was built adjacent to the 1907 building, which became St. George Elementary. The 1907 school was closed in 1961 and razed in 1962.
Erected 2017 by The Dorchester County Historical Society and the Class of 1954. (Marker Number 1824.)
Location. 33° 11.303′ N, 80° 34.497′ W. Marker is in St. George, South Carolina. Marker is at the intersection of Ridge Street and Raysor Street, on the right when traveling north on Ridge Street. Touch for map
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 7 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. South Carolina Canal & Rail Road Company (approx. 0.4 miles away); Badham House / Dorchester Lumber Company (approx. 2.2 miles away); Koger-Murray-Carroll House (approx. 5.4 miles away); St. Paul Camp Ground (approx. 5.5 miles away); Appleby's Methodist Church (approx. 5.7 miles away); Grover Methodist Church (approx. 5.8 miles away); Moorefield Memorial Highway (approx. 6 miles away); Shady Grove Camp Ground (approx. 6.2 miles away).
Categories. • Education •
Credits. This page was last revised on May 15, 2017. This page originally submitted on May 13, 2017, by Dean Moss McCracken of Lakeland, Florida. This page has been viewed 81 times since then. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on May 13, 2017, by Dean Moss McCracken of Lakeland, Florida. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page.