Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Ciudad de Mexico, Ciudad de México, Mexico — The Central Highlands
 

The Church and Convent of Regina Coeli

 
 
The Church and Convent of Regina Coeli Marker image. Click for full size.
By J. Makali Bruton, January 23, 2017
1. The Church and Convent of Regina Coeli Marker
Inscription.
Templo de Regina Coeli
reedificado en el siglo XVIII como
parte del Convento del mismo
nombre siendo la segunda
fundación concepcionista
en la Nueva España.

English translation:
The Church of Regina Coeli
rebuilt in the 18th century as part of the Convent of the same name, being the second convent founded by Conceptionists in the New Spain.

 
Location. 19° 25.686′ N, 99° 8.328′ W. Marker is in Ciudad de Mexico, Ciudad de México. Marker can be reached from Calle Regina just east of Calle Bolivar. Touch for map. The marker is along a pedestrian street (Calle Regina), some few meters east of Calle Bolivar. Marker is at or near this postal address: 3 Calle Regina, Ciudad de Mexico, Ciudad de México 06080, Mexico.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Concepción Béistegui Hospital (within shouting distance of this marker); House of Pedro Romero de Terreros (about 210 meters away, measured in a direct line); Chapel of the Marquis of Salvatierra (approx. 0.3 kilometers away); The Novitiate of the Convent of Saint Augustine (approx. 0.4 kilometers away); Chapel of the Immaculate Conception of the Waterfall
An additional marker on the facade of the Convent of Regina Coeli image. Click for full size.
By J. Makali Bruton, January 23, 2017
2. An additional marker on the facade of the Convent of Regina Coeli
This additional marker celebrates the 425th anniversary of the foundation of the Convent of Regina Coeli by the Order of the Immaculate Conception on October 28, 1998.
(approx. 0.4 kilometers away); The Golden Rooster Bar (approx. 0.4 kilometers away); Parish of Our Lady of Lourdes (approx. 0.4 kilometers away); Palace of the Counts of San Mateo Valparaiso (approx. 0.4 kilometers away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Ciudad de Mexico.
 
Categories. Churches & ReligionMan-Made Features
 
An additional marker on the facade of the Convent of Regina Coeli image. Click for full size.
By J. Makali Bruton, January 23, 2017
3. An additional marker on the facade of the Convent of Regina Coeli
This additional marker celebrates the 400th anniversary of the foundation of the Convent of Regina Coeli by the Order of the Immaculate Conception on October 28, 1973. Interestingly, it also notes that the Order left the Convent in 1863.
An additional marker on the facade of the Convent of Regina Coeli image. Click for full size.
By J. Makali Bruton, January 23, 2017
4. An additional marker on the facade of the Convent of Regina Coeli
This older, additional marker is to the far left along the facade of the Convent of Regina Coeli. It reads:

Juebes 28 de octubre de 1773 se hizo en esta yglesia una solemne funcion, en celebridad de cumplyr 200 años de fundado este monasterio, pues el año de 1573 binieron a fundarlo las señoras religiosas del Real Combento de la Ymaculada Concepcion de esta Corte. Y lo confirmo el Soberano Pontifice Gregorio XIII, por su Nuncio Apostolico, en 9 de junio de 1578.

Varias señoras religiosas de este monasterio han salido a fundar: primero el Combento de Regina Coely en la ciudad de Oaxaca el año de 1596: segundo el de San Bernardo de esta Corte el de 1636: tercero el de San Miguel el Grande el de 1736: y se han hospedado en este monasterio, las mui reverendas Madres Fundadoras de Santa Brigyda, el año de 1743: i las de la Enseñanza el de 1753.

El recinto, embygado, crujía de azulesos, pynturas de los sagrados doctore que están en las pechinas y blaqueo por dentro y fuera de esta iglesia, se hizo en el año de 1781, siendo abadesa, la mui reverenda Madre Marya Augustina de Señora Santa Anna.

English translation:
On October 28, 1773, a solemn function was held in this church, in order to celebrate the 200th anniversary of the founding of this monastery, for in 1573 the nuns of the Royal Convent of the Immaculate Conception of this Court founded it. It was then confirmed by the Sovereign Pope Gregory XIII through his Nuncio Apostolico, on June 9, 1578.

Several religious of this monastery have gone on to found other convents: first the Convent of Regina Coeli in the city of Oaxaca in 1596, second Convent of San Bernardo of this Court in 1636 and the third in San Miguel el Grande in 1736. They have also hosted many that have stayed in this monastery, such as the many reverend Founding Mothers of Santa Brigida in 1743 and those of La Enseñanza in 1753.

The building, arches, walkways, tile work, paintings of the sacred doctors in their niches and the inside and outside painting of this church, was done in the year 1781 under the abbess, the Very Reverend Mother Maria Augustina of Santa Anna.
The Church and Convent of Regina Coeli and Marker image. Click for full size.
By J. Makali Bruton, January 23, 2017
5. The Church and Convent of Regina Coeli and Marker
The marker is to the right of the main, larger entryway to the church of the convent. The additional markers can be seen farther to the left along the facade of the church.
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on May 14, 2017. This page originally submitted on May 14, 2017, by J. Makali Bruton of Querétaro, Mexico. This page has been viewed 54 times since then. Photos:   1, 2, 3, 4, 5. submitted on May 14, 2017, by J. Makali Bruton of Querétaro, Mexico.
Paid Advertisement