Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Marietta in Washington County, Ohio — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
 

The Presidentís Home of Marietta College

 
 
The Presidentís Home of Marietta College Marker image. Click for full size.
By J. J. Prats, April 23, 2017
1. The Presidentís Home of Marietta College Marker
Inscription. Built in 1822 by Postmaster Henry P. Wilcox, the property was acquired in 1837 by Colonel John Mills, a founder of the college. It passed to his sons John and William Webster Mills, graduates of the college and, like their father, longtime trustees and generous benefactors of Marietta College. In 1937 the property was purchased by the college as the residence of its presidents. The house has undergone numerous alterations over its long life. The Presidentís Home and its carriage house are listed in the National Register of Historic Places.
 
Location. 39° 25.07′ N, 81° 27.073′ W. Marker is in Marietta, Ohio, in Washington County. Marker is at the intersection of Putnam Street and 5th Street, on the left when traveling east on Putnam Street. Touch for map. The plaque is to the left of the front door of the house. Marker is in this post office area: Marietta OH 45750, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Muskingum Academy / Marietta College (within shouting distance of this marker); Betsey Mills Club (within shouting distance of this marker); First Baptist Church (about 400 feet away, measured in a direct line); Mound Square
Marietta College Presidentís Home and Marker image. Click for full size.
By J. J. Prats, April 23, 2017
2. Marietta College Presidentís Home and Marker
The marker is on the wall to the left of the front door.
(about 600 feet away); House of Seven Porches (about 700 feet away); Memorial to the Revolutionary Soldiers Buried in Marietta (approx. 0.2 miles away); St. Paulís Church (approx. 0.2 miles away); American Union Lodge No. 1, F. & A. M. (approx. 0.3 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Marietta.
 
Also see . . .  The Presidentís House: A brief history of the Wilcox-Mills House. “Prior to the College acquiring the Wilcox-Mills House, one of the major additions to the property included the street wall and curved iron railing along the Putnam Street entrance. Both were designed by Rufus Erastus Harte, who was architect of Erwin Hall. The Presidentís House was added to the National Register of Historic Places on April 13, 1973, which lists Count de Grasse Bonney as the designer of the original 1822 structure.” (Submitted on May 16, 2017.) 
 
Categories. EducationNotable Buildings
 
Marietta College Presidentís Home image. Click for full size.
By J. J. Prats, April 23, 2017
3. Marietta College Presidentís Home
This view is from 5th Street.
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on May 16, 2017. This page originally submitted on May 16, 2017, by J. J. Prats of Springfield, Virginia. This page has been viewed 72 times since then. Photos:   1, 2, 3. submitted on May 16, 2017, by J. J. Prats of Springfield, Virginia.
Paid Advertisement