Bates Township had three mines: The Bates, Chicagon, and Rogers. Together they shipped a total of 8,196,380 tons of ore from 1909-1947.
Larson Park sits in a tract of 320 acres of old growth forest. There are two main forest systems in Bates Township, the Copper Country State Forest and the Ottawa National Forest. The Copper Country State Forest is 250,000 acres. The Ottawa national Forest is approximately 1,000,000 acres and spreads through the four western counties of the Upper Peninsula.
All forests are open to the public to use for hunting, fishing and camping. There is a huge abundance of wildlife including Whitetail Deer and Ruffed Grouse to hunt and enjoy. Lakes and rivers are all full of fish. Take advantage and use the forest!
Bates enjoyed the greatest concentration of permanent farm settlements when lands became available through the Homestead Act of 1862. These settlers were mainly of sturdy Scandinavian stock who made their way to the frontier stopping center of Norway, Michigan. The families were large as a rule and many hardships were endured in carving the homes out of the wilderness. The head of the family usually worked the mines and cleared the lands and built buildings on weekends when not working in the mines. The early years
Bates Township, established in 1885 consists of approximately 132 square miles in somewhat of an “hour-glass” shape. The boundaries of Bates Township changed twice back in the early days when certain factions fell into disfavor with the ruling clique. It is one of 7 townships in Iron County. The others are Iron River, Stambaugh, Hematite, Crystal Falls, Mastodon, and Mansfield. It shares its border with 2 of Upper Michiganís 15 counties (Houghton and Baraga). The northern half is a lush forest recreational area. The southern half has approximately 1,000 residents and numerous lakes and forests.
Bates Township has supported many businesses in the past as well as present. Farming, logging, and mining were the major industries. The mining industry is only history but logging continues as a major source of income for many families.
Erected by Iron County Heritage Trail.
Location. 46° 6.402′ N, 88° 32.784′ W. Marker is in Iron River, Michigan, in Iron County. Marker can be reached from U.S. 2. Touch for map. Marker is located in a U.S. Hwy 2 rest area approximately 4 miles east of Iron River, on the north side of the highway. Marker is in this post office area: Iron River MI 49935, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 3 other markers are within 5 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. First Roadside Park (here, next to this marker); Pentoga Park (approx. 4.9 miles away); Indian Village (approx. 4.9 miles away).
Categories. • Horticulture & Forestry • Industry & Commerce • Settlements & Settlers •
Credits. This page was last revised on May 18, 2017. This page originally submitted on May 17, 2017, by Paul Fehrenbach of Germantown, Wisconsin. This page has been viewed 158 times since then and 13 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6. submitted on May 17, 2017, by Paul Fehrenbach of Germantown, Wisconsin. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.