The Stone Farmhouse
After Banneker's death in 1806, the Ellicott family came to own the land. Forth-four years later the Ellicott Family sold six actes to Joshua and Rebecca Hynes for $400.00. The Hynes family added 25 more acres to their farm the next year and began building this three story stone farmhouse with local Ellicott City granite. The stone construction and three stories made this house exceptional for its time.
Throughout the years, three families lived and farmed here until the Treuth family bought it in 1969. In 198s5, Baltimore County purchased 42.5 acres of the Treuth farm and created Benjamin Banneker Historical Park. Baltimore County restored this house in 2004. This house is listed on the Maryland Historical Trust Inventory of Historic Properties.
Today, the stone farmhouse as been named the Molly Bannaky House to honor Benjamin Banneker's grandmother.
John and Mary Hynes with their family, circa 1890
The Hynes family lived and farmed
Location. 39° 16.206′ N, 76° 46.609′ W. Marker is in Catonsville, Maryland, in Baltimore County. Marker is on Oella Avenue. Touch for map. Marker is on the grounds of the Benjamin Banneker Historical Park. Marker is in this post office area: Catonsville MD 21228, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Banneker's Orchard (a few steps from this marker); Robert Bannaky (about 400 feet away, measured in a direct line); Benjamin Banneker (about 600 feet away); a different marker also named Benjamin Banneker (approx. 0.4 miles away); The George Ellicott House (approx. 0.9 miles away); Oella (approx. 0.9 miles away); Ellicott’s Mills (approx. 0.9 miles away); Road Versus Rails (approx. one mile away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Catonsville.
Also see . . . Benjamin Banneker Historical Park website. (Submitted on May 17, 2017, by Bill Pfingsten of Bel Air, Maryland.)
Categories. • Notable Buildings •
Credits. This page was last revised on May 17, 2017. This page originally submitted on May 17, 2017, by Bill Pfingsten of Bel Air, Maryland. This page has been viewed 79 times since then. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on May 17, 2017, by Bill Pfingsten of Bel Air, Maryland.