Marietta in Washington County, Ohio — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
First Baptist Church
The Church with the Caring Touch
Captain William Mason was one of the first Baptists to arrive in Marietta. He was among the 48 who arrived in Marietta April 7, 1788. He was a preacher as well as a captain. At first the early Baptists worshipped with other denominations in the Blockhouse in the northwest corner of Campus Martius. Here Mr. Mason helped Mrs. Mary Lake in her Sunday School. He was also empowered to solemnize marriages. He presided at many marriages and funerals.
When it became comparatively safe to do so, associations were formed and settlers moved to their farms. Many Baptists
Probably the oldest of these was the Rainbow Church located near Lowell, Ohio, gathered in 1796 and organized in 1797 by Elder Nehemiah Davis, a minister from Maine. Rev. James McAboy, a resident of Parkersburg, was the first pastor of the First Baptist Church of Marietta.
Location. 39° 25.02′ N, 81° 27.133′ W. Marker is in Marietta, Ohio, in Washington County. Marker is at the intersection of Putnam Street and Fourth Street on Putnam Street. Touch for map. It is to the right of the corner entrance, facing Putnam Street. Marker is in this post office area: Marietta OH 45750, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Betsey Mills Club (within shouting distance of this marker); The Presidentís Home of Marietta College Muskingum Academy / Marietta College (about 500 feet away); Mound Square (approx. 0.2 miles away); House of Seven Porches (approx. 0.2 miles away); Memorial to the Revolutionary Soldiers Buried in Marietta (approx. 0.2 miles away); St. Paulís Church (approx. 0.2 miles away); American Union Lodge No. 1, F. & A. M. (approx. ľ mile away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Marietta.
More about this marker. Shown on the tablet is an image of the Church Street Building, 1836–1955 (shown in close-up in Photograph 3) and the Putnam Street Building, 1855–1907 (Photograph 4).
Regarding First Baptist Church. This 1907 building is the third erected. The first two are shown in bas-relief on the marker.
Categories. • Churches & Religion • Settlements & Settlers •
Credits. This page was last revised on May 19, 2017. This page originally submitted on May 17, 2017, by J. J. Prats of Powell, Ohio. This page has been viewed 100 times since then and 13 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5. submitted on May 17, 2017, by J. J. Prats of Powell, Ohio.
Editor’s want-list for this marker. Inside photos of the church • Can you help?