Cornwall in Stormont, Dundas & Glengarry Counties, Ontario — Central Canada
The French Presence in Cornwall
A vital cultural force in Eastern Ontario, the Franco-Ontarian community in Cornwall was established during the late 1870s when large-scale industrial expansion led to an influx of workers and tradesmen from Québec. By 1881 French-speaking residents comprised the largest single cultural group in the town. Supported by a number of religious and scholastic institutions, including l'église de la Nativité de la Bienheureuse Vierge Marie, the Francophone community grew steadily in the decades that followed. Increasingly it asserted its cultural distinctiveness, paying particular attention to language preservation and French education. Long-standing efforts to protect and advance the community's rights and interests in these spheres culminated in the opening in 1974 of La Citadelle, an all-French secondary school.
Erected by Ontario Heritage Foundation, Ministry of Culture and Communication.
Location. 45° 1.115′ N, 74° 42.69′ W. Marker is in Cornwall, Ontario, in Stormont, Dundas & Glengarry Counties. Marker is on Montreal Road (County Highway 2) 0.2 kilometers west of McConnell Avenue, on the right when traveling west. Touch for map. Marker is located on the front lawn of the presbytery of the church de
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 3 kilometers of this marker, measured as the crow flies. The Glengarry Fencibles (approx. 0.9 kilometers away); War of 1812 (approx. 1.3 kilometers away); The Founding of Cornwall (approx. 1.4 kilometers away); Cornwall Canal (approx. 1.4 kilometers away); Right Reverend John Strachan (approx. 1.4 kilometers away); Cornwall Grammar School (approx. 1.4 kilometers away); The Rev. John Strachan in Cornwall (approx. 1.6 kilometers away); Captain Samuel Anderson (approx. 2.3 kilometers away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Cornwall.
Categories. • Education • Industry & Commerce • Settlements & Settlers •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 1, 2017. This page originally submitted on May 23, 2017, by Kevin Craft of Bedford, Quebec. This page has been viewed 41 times since then. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on May 23, 2017, by Kevin Craft of Bedford, Quebec.