Cornwall in Stormont, Dundas & Glengarry Counties, Ontario — Central Canada
The Glengarry Fencibles
The regiment of Glengarry Light Infantry Fencibles was raised in 1811–12 largely from among the Highland settlers of this region, many of whom had served previously in Europe with the Glengarry (British Highland) Fencibles. The Canadian corps was recruited through the efforts of Major George Richard John Macdonell ("Red George") assisted by the Rev. Alexander Macdonell (later Upper Canada's first Roman Catholic Bishop) who served as its chaplain. The regiment was taken on the regular British army establishment in 1812, and disbanded at Kingston in 1816. Detachments of the Fencibles distinguished themselves in many hard fought engagements including: Salmon River, 1812; Ogdensburg, 1813; Lundy's Lane, Fort Erie, and Mackinac, 1814.
Erected by Ontario Archaeological and Historic Sites Board.
Location. 45° 1.485′ N, 74° 43.136′ W. Marker is in Cornwall, Ontario, in Stormont, Dundas & Glengarry Counties. Marker is on Fourth Street East 0.1 kilometers east of Marlborough Street North, on the left when traveling east. Touch for map. Marker is located on the front lawn of the Cornwall Armoury, to the left of the main entrance. Marker is at or near this postal address: 505 Fourth Street East, Cornwall, Ontario K6H 2J7, Canada.
Other nearby markers. At Right Reverend John Strachan (approx. 0.8 kilometers away); Cornwall Grammar School (approx. 0.8 kilometers away); The French Presence in Cornwall (approx. 0.9 kilometers away); War of 1812 (approx. one kilometer away); The Founding of Cornwall (approx. 1.3 kilometers away); The Rev. John Strachan in Cornwall (approx. 1.3 kilometers away); Cornwall Canal (approx. 1.3 kilometers away); Captain Samuel Anderson (approx. 2.8 kilometers away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Cornwall.
Categories. • War of 1812 •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 1, 2017. This page originally submitted on May 23, 2017, by Kevin Craft of Bedford, Quebec. This page has been viewed 38 times since then. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on May 23, 2017, by Kevin Craft of Bedford, Quebec.