Franklin in Williamson County, Tennessee — The American South (East South Central)
Battle of Franklin
The breastworks, thirty yards south, were held by Grose’s Brigade, Kimball’s Division of the Fourth U.S. Army Corps on Nov. 30, 1864. Around 5 p.m., the brigade was attacked by two regiments of Finley’s Florida Brigade, C.S.A. The Floridians withdrew and attacked one-half hour later with the entire brigade, but were driven back. Chalmer’s Division of Forrest’s Cavalry next attacked Kimball’s Division from the northwest. A Federal general called this assault, which also was repulsed, “short but severe…”
and the family of James W. Hickman, 1996
Erected 1996 by Williamson County Historical Society.
Location. 35° 55.426′ N, 86° 52.694′ W. Marker is in Franklin, Tennessee, in Williamson County. Marker is on Tennessee Route 96 0.1 miles east of 11th Avenue North, on the right when traveling east. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 219 Highway 96, Franklin TN 37064, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Natchez Street Community (approx. 0.3 miles away); Hincheyville (approx. 0.3 miles away); Franklin Cumberland Presbyterian Church (approx. 0.3 miles away); Franklin Special School District (approx. 0.3 miles away); St. Paul's Episcopal Church (approx. 0.3 miles away); Williamson County (approx. 0.3 miles away); Field Hospitals (approx. 0.4 miles away); Chickasaw Treaty Council (approx. 0.4 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Franklin.
Categories. • War, US Civil •
Credits. This page was last revised on May 23, 2017. This page originally submitted on May 23, 2017, by Larry Gertner of New York, New York. This page has been viewed 238 times since then and 39 times this year. Photo 1. submitted on May 23, 2017, by Larry Gertner of New York, New York. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page.
Editor’s want-list for this marker. Wide shot of marker and its surroundings. • Can you help?