Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Marietta in Washington County, Ohio — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
 

Mound Square

 
 
Mound Square South Corner Plaques image. Click for full size.
By J. J. Prats, April 23, 2017
1. Mound Square South Corner Plaques
Inscription. A work of the Moundbuilders, reserved for the public use by the Founders of Marietta in 1788. Set aside as a cemetery in 1800. First burial was in 1801.

“I know many of the Ohio Company personally. Never were men better calculated to promote the welfare of such a community. No colony in America was ever settled so favorably.” —General Washington.
 
Location. 39° 25.153′ N, 81° 27.121′ W. Marker is in Marietta, Ohio, in Washington County. Marker is at the intersection of 5th Street and Cutter Street, on the right when traveling north on 5th Street. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Marietta OH 45750, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. House of Seven Porches (within shouting distance of this marker); Memorial to the Revolutionary Soldiers Buried in Marietta (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); St. Paulís Church (about 300 feet away); The Presidentís Home of Marietta College (about 600 feet away); Muskingum Academy / Marietta College (about 700 feet away); Betsey Mills Club (about 700 feet away); First Baptist Church (approx. 0.2 miles away); Christ United Methodist Church (approx. 0.3 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Marietta.
 
Also see . . .
Southern Corner of Mound Square and Plaques image. Click for full size.
By J. J. Prats, April 23, 2017
2. Southern Corner of Mound Square and Plaques
 . “Mound Cemetery in Marietta, Ohio, is a historic cemetery developed around the base of a prehistoric Adena burial mound known as the Great Mound or Conus. Archaeologists estimate that it was built between 100 BC and 500 AD. The city founders preserved the Great Mound from destruction by establishing the city cemetery around it in 1801. The city of Marietta was developed in 1788 by pioneers from Massachusetts, soon after the American Revolutionary War and organization of the Northwest Territory. Many of the founders were officers of the Revolutionary War who had received federal land grants for military services. Among high-ranking officers buried at the cemetery are generals Rufus Putnam and Benjamin Tupper, who were founders of the Ohio Company of Associates; as well as Commodore Abraham Whipple and Colonel William Stacy. The cemetery has the highest number of burials of American Revolutionary War officers in the country.” (Submitted on May 23, 2017.) 
 
Additional keywords. Mound Builders
 
Categories. AnthropologyNative AmericansSettlements & Settlers
 
The Mound at Marietta image. Click for full size.
Drawn by Henry Howe, 1846
3. The Mound at Marietta
From page 791 of the book by Henry Howe entitled Historical Collections of Ohio, Vol II, published in 1896. Via Wikipedia Commons.
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on May 23, 2017. This page originally submitted on May 23, 2017, by J. J. Prats of Powell, Ohio. This page has been viewed 174 times since then. Photos:   1, 2, 3. submitted on May 23, 2017, by J. J. Prats of Powell, Ohio.
 
Editor’s want-list for this marker. Plaques at the other three corners, on their own pages • Photos of the park, mound, interesting gravesites • Can you help?
Paid Advertisement