The Williams House was built between 1900 and 1914 by the Blum family as their private residence. After moving to Charles Town, Dr. Leah Mildred Williams, a female physician, purchased the home in 1954. Dr. Williams began her family medical practice after purchasing the home where she saw patients until her retirement in 1986. Known as a deeply caring and compassionate person, Dr. Williams made a point of seeing any patient, often making house calls in order to do so. She served as the county's Medical Examiner, Chief of Staff at Jefferson Memorial Hospital, and was a member of the Independent Fire Company, serving for many years as the fire company's physician. Dr. Williams continue to reside in the house until her death in 2008 at the age of 91.
Erected by American Public University System.
Location. 39° 17.266′ N, 77° 51.632′ W. Marker is in Charles Town, West Virginia, in Jefferson County. Marker is at the intersection of Congress Street and Charles Street, on the left when traveling west on Congress Street. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 115 West Congress Street, Charles Town WV 25414, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Charles Town Schools (a few steps from
Also see . . . Dr. Leah Mildred Williams Obituary. (Submitted on May 23, 2017, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania.)
Categories. • Charity & Public Work • Man-Made Features • Science & Medicine •
Credits. This page was last revised on May 23, 2017. This page originally submitted on May 23, 2017, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania. This page has been viewed 172 times since then. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on May 23, 2017, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania.