Sylvania in Lucas County, Ohio — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
Railroad Car Barn
This building is a reproduction of the center bays of the original Sylvania interurban car barn. It was located on South Main Street at Ten Mile Creek (near Sautter's Foodcenter). It houses two important pieces of Sylvania's rail history.
The electric Baldwin-Westinghouse Locomotive #403 was built in 1915. Electric locomotives were built as replacements for steam locomotives, which were notorious polluters and had a dangerous tendency for accidents in steam-filled terminals. Weighing 63 tons, it was the heaviest and with four 125hp motors it was the most powerful locomotive owned by the Toledo & Western Railway. The interurban railway operated from 1901 until 1935. It linked Toledo to Morenci, Michigan and Pioneer, Ohio via Sylvania and was used for both freight and passengers.
The cupola-style wooden caboose No. 90781, was built in Butler, Pennsylvania by the Standard Steel Car Company in 1924. It is fully restored and is similar to the one used by The Toledo, Angola & Western Railway. This railroad, nicknamed "the Goatline," was 8 1/4 miles of track that linked the Sylvania area stone quarries to the world. Lacking a turntable, and because the engine was placed on the tracks heading away from Toledo, it would have to puff backwards each morning (with the caboose in the lead) and returned at the head pulling
These two railways were of great importance to the growth of Toledo, Sylvania and Northwest Ohio in the 20th century.
Sign Sponsored By: Reeb Funeral Home
Location. 41° 43.094′ N, 83° 42.269′ W. Marker is in Sylvania, Ohio, in Lucas County. Marker can be reached from Main Street. Touch for map. Marker is in the Sylvania Historical Village about 330 feet west of Main Street, behind the Element 112 restaurant, which is about 450 feet north of Maplewood Avenue. Marker is at or near this postal address: 5717 Main St, Sylvania OH 43560, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. 1850 Barn (a few steps from this marker); Stone Academy (a few steps from this marker); 1858 Railroad Depot (a few steps from this marker); Log Home (within shouting distance of this marker); Sister City Garden (within shouting distance of this marker); Sylvania Heritage Museum (about 400 feet away, measured in a direct line); Erie and Kalamazoo Railroad (approx. 0.2 miles away); Toledo and Western Railway Company (approx. ¼ mile away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Sylvania.
Categories. • Railroads & Streetcars •
Credits. This page was last revised on May 24, 2017. This page originally submitted on May 24, 2017, by Joel Seewald of Madison Heights, Michigan. This page has been viewed 106 times since then and 22 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5. submitted on May 24, 2017, by Joel Seewald of Madison Heights, Michigan.