Lansing in Ingham County, Michigan — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
Mt. Hope Cemetery
Mount Hope Cemetery opened as Lansing's new city cemetery in June 1874 on what was formerly the John Miller Farm. Between 1874 and 1881 the city vacated the Lansing City Cemetery, located on the site of what would become Oak Park, and moved roughly one thousand graves to Mount Hope. Frederick W. Higgins, superintendent of Detroit's Woodmere Cemetery, planned the drives, and Henry Lee Bancroft, Lansing cemetery superintendent and director of parks and recreation from 1914 to 1957, developed the landscape over many years. The rolling terrain, curving drives, and variety and profusion of monuments reflect cemetery concepts of the mid-nineteenth century. A large obelisk, the city's Civil War soldier's monument was dedicated in 1878 on one of the highest points in the cemetery.
Mount Hope Cemetery contains the remains of some of the capital city's most prominent citizens, as well as some of the least privileged. Industrialists such as Ransom Eli Olds, pioneer botanist Dr. William J. Beal, and two-time Medal of Honor winner and surgeon Dr. George Ranney are buried here as well as state officials and university presidents. A section platted in 1874 for the State Reform School (later the Boys Vocational School) holds the remains of sixty-one boys who died between roughly 1860 and 1933. In addition
Erected 2009 by Michigan Historical Commission - Michigan Historical Center. (Marker Number L2211.)
Marker series. This marker is included in the Michigan Historical Commission marker series.
Location. 42° 42.701′ N, 84° 31.625′ W. Marker is in Lansing, Michigan, in Ingham County. Marker is at the intersection of Mt. Hope Road and Aurelius Road on Mt. Hope Road. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 1709 E. Mount Hope, Lansing MI 48910, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 2 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. REO Motor Car Company / REO Clubhouse (approx. 1.3 miles away); Grand Trunk Depot (approx. 1.4 miles away); Church of the Resurrection / Monsignor John A. Gabriels (approx. 1½ miles away); Lansing Fire Station No. 8 (approx. 1.6 miles away); Michigan Pharmacists Association (approx. 1.6 miles away); I-496 Olds Freeway First Olds Horseless Carriage (approx. 1.6 miles away); Ransom Eli Olds Breakthrough (approx. 1.7 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Lansing.
Categories. • Cemeteries & Burial Sites • Notable Persons •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 2, 2017. This page originally submitted on May 23, 2017, by Bill Rieske of Lansing, Michigan. This page has been viewed 96 times since then and 7 times this year. Last updated on May 24, 2017, by Bill Rieske of Lansing, Michigan. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on May 23, 2017, by Bill Rieske of Lansing, Michigan. 4. submitted on May 24, 2017, by Don Morfe of Baltimore, Maryland. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.