Franklin in Williamson County, Tennessee — The American South (East South Central)
Battle of Franklin, Eastern Flank
Lewisburg Pike Toll House
These structures usually had permanent residents, employees of the managing companies who collected specific fees for each person, draft animal, and wagon that passed through during daylight hours. The turnpikes themselves were usually ten to twelve feet (three meters) wide, with ditches along the sides for drainage, and surfaces of gravel or tightly-packed small stones that created what were called macadamized roads.
The turnpikes kept state taxes low, but they often frustrated farmers and merchants trekking to markets. On the eighteen-mile trek from Franklin to Nashville, travelers had to stop and pay four times.
The Civil War severely damaged many of these highways, including the Lewisburg Pike. Heavy military traffic eroded the surfaces, consumed supplies for repairs, and made toll-collecting nearly impossible. Repairs were further complicated by widespread loss of draft animals during the war, a shortage
By the end of the century, public funding gradually replaced private construction, and Tennessee’s last tollhouses were closed in 1930.
Erected by Tennessee Civil War Trails.
Marker series. This marker is included in the Tennessee Civil War Trails marker series.
Location. 35° 54.519′ N, 86° 51.453′ W. Marker is in Franklin, Tennessee, in Williamson County. Marker can be reached from Eastern Flank Circle 0.4 miles from Lewisburg Pike (Business U.S. 431), on the right when traveling west. Touch for map. Located in Eastern Flank Battlefield Park. Marker is at or near this postal address: 1368 Eastern Flank Cir, Franklin TN 37064, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Advancing With Scott's Brigade (a few steps from this marker); a different marker also named Advancing With Scott's Brigade (about 500 feet away, measured in a direct line); a different marker also named Battle of Franklin, Eastern Flank (approx. 0.2 miles away); a different marker also named Battle of Franklin, Eastern Flank (approx. 0.2 miles away); a different marker also named Advancing With Scott's Brigade Battle of Franklin (approx. 0.2 miles away); a different marker also named Battle of Franklin (approx. 0.2 miles away); a different marker also named Battle of Franklin, Eastern Flank (approx. 0.2 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Franklin.
Also see . . . Eastern Flank Battlefield Park. (Submitted on May 24, 2017, by Brandon Stahl of Fairfax, Virginia.)
Categories. • Roads & Vehicles • War, US Civil •
Credits. This page was last revised on May 25, 2017. This page originally submitted on May 24, 2017, by Brandon Stahl of Fairfax, Virginia. This page has been viewed 90 times since then and 20 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5. submitted on May 24, 2017, by Brandon Stahl of Fairfax, Virginia. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page.