Cornwall in Stormont, Dundas & Glengarry Counties, Ontario — Central Canada
The Cornwall Canal was one of eight canals that connected western Canada with the ocean by way of the Great Lakes and the St. Lawrence River. Constructed in 1834–1842 to overcome the rapids of the Long Sault, it was enlarged several times between 1876-1904 and superseded by the St. Lawrence Seaway in 1959.
Erected by Historic Sites and Monuments Board of Canada.
Location. 45° 0.879′ N, 74° 43.685′ W. Marker is in Cornwall, Ontario, in Stormont, Dundas & Glengarry Counties. Marker is on Water Street West (County Highway 2) 0.1 kilometers west of Pitt Street, on the right when traveling east. Touch for map. Marker is located in Lamoureux Park. Marker is in this post office area: Cornwall, Ontario K6J 3P2, Canada.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 5 kilometers of this marker, measured as the crow flies. The Founding of Cornwall (a few steps from this marker); War of 1812 (approx. 0.4 kilometers away); The Rev. John Strachan in Cornwall (approx. 0.4 kilometers away); Right Reverend John Strachan (approx. 0.9 kilometers away); Cornwall Grammar School (approx. 0.9 kilometers away); The Glengarry Fencibles The French Presence in Cornwall (approx. 1.4 kilometers away); Captain Samuel Anderson (approx. 3.7 kilometers away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Cornwall.
Also see . . . Seaway History - Cornwall Canal. (Submitted on May 24, 2017, by Kevin Craft of Bedford, Quebec.)
Categories. • Waterways & Vessels •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 1, 2017. This page originally submitted on May 24, 2017, by Kevin Craft of Bedford, Quebec. This page has been viewed 185 times since then. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on May 24, 2017, by Kevin Craft of Bedford, Quebec.