Sylvania in Lucas County, Ohio — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
1858 Railroad Depot
The showpiece of the Historical Village is the original railroad depot building that served Sylvania residents for 98 years, from 1858 to 1956. It is the oldest train depot in existance in the State of Ohio.
Built in 1858 and originally located behind what is now Southbriar Shopping Center on Main Street, the Sylvania Depot was moved to the Village in March 1997. The building has not been altered except to relocate two windows and a door for better viewing.
Almost since its inception, Sylvania has had a close and vital association with rail transportation. In 1835, the Erie & Kalamazoo Railroad Company won the right to construct a rail line between Toledo, Ohio, and Adrian, MI. The rail line was the first line west of the Allegheny Mountains. The first railroad cars were pulled by horses!
Sylvania was chosen for a railroad stop because of its abundant water supply. The first locomotive traveled through Sylvania in 1837, and an advertisement in the Toledo Blade that year proclaimed: "Emigrants and others destined for Indiana, Illinois and western Michigan WILL SAVE TWO DAYS and the corresponding expense by taking this route in preference to the more lengthened, tedious and expensive route heretofore traveled."
The cost for the Toledo-to-Sylvania leg of the journey was $.50; from
Railroad artifacts are displayed inside the building.
Sign Sponsored By: Montgomery-Nichols Agency
Location. 41° 43.087′ N, 83° 42.28′ W. Marker is in Sylvania, Ohio, in Lucas County. Marker can be reached from Main Street. Touch for map. Marker is in the Sylvania Historical Village, about 390 feet west of Main Street, which is about 340 feet north of Maplewood Avenue. Marker is at or near this postal address: 5717 Main Street, Sylvania OH 43560, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. 1850 Barn (a few steps from this marker); Railroad Car Barn (a few steps from this marker); Stone Academy (within shouting distance of this marker); Log Home (within shouting distance of this marker); Sister City Garden (within shouting distance of this marker); Sylvania Heritage Museum (about 400 feet away, measured in a direct line); Erie and Kalamazoo Railroad (approx. 0.2 miles away); Toledo and Western Railway Company (approx. ¼ mile away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Sylvania.
Also see . . . Railroad Depot. More information about (Submitted on May 25, 2017, by Joel Seewald of Madison Heights, Michigan.)
Categories. • Railroads & Streetcars •
Credits. This page was last revised on May 25, 2017. This page originally submitted on May 25, 2017, by Joel Seewald of Madison Heights, Michigan. This page has been viewed 83 times since then. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on May 25, 2017, by Joel Seewald of Madison Heights, Michigan.