Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Mount Vernon in Rockcastle County, Kentucky — The American South (East South Central)
 

Fish – Hiatt Building

 
 
Fish – Hiatt Building Marker (front) image. Click for full size.
By Tom Bosse, April 12, 2017
1. Fish – Hiatt Building Marker (front)
Inscription. The Elkin Hotel structure stood on this site from the time of its construction around 1820 until its demolition in 1905. Originally built by Rueben Elkin, it was a two-story wooden clapboard building with a wood shingled roof. This was Mt. Vernonís first hotel (other than Stephen Langfordís tavern) and it was well known for being the first establishment in the area to use a bell that could be heard up and down Main Street to call people to meals.

In 1899 James F. Houk purchased the building and operated as Houk & Sons General store until they sold the building to Jesse Fish in 1902.

Jesseís son, Jones P. Fish moved the business into a temporary building so that the Elkin Building could be replaced with the masonry stone building you see now. It opened as J. Fish in 1906. The main entrance was originally the door opening to Church Street. If you look closely at the pavement outside this door, you can still see the fish imprints in the sidewalk which marked the main entrance for shoppers. The concrete blocks were created on site by C. Shipp from Corbin, and the masonry work was completed by John H. Ramsey. In March 1909, A.J. Fish had a glass front installed and changed the entry to face Main Street. The Signal reported that Fritz Krueger began excavating for the new building for J. Fish and W.L. Richards also in 1909. We

Fish – Hiatt Building Marker (back) image. Click for full size.
By Tom Bosse, April 12, 2017
2. Fish – Hiatt Building Marker (back)
believe this was an addition to the original block structure. O.V. Hilton purchased the building during World War II and operated it for 17 years. O.V. then sold the building and business to his son-in-law and daughter – Barbara and Billy Hiatt and it thrived during the 19060s and 70s. For 46 years residents shopped at this location fondly known at Hiattís 5 & 10 until the doors closed in 2007.
 
Erected by City of Mount Vernon Kentucky.
 
Location. 37° 21.184′ N, 84° 20.329′ W. Marker is in Mount Vernon, Kentucky, in Rockcastle County. Marker is at the intersection of East Main Street and Church Street, on the left when traveling west on East Main Street. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Mount Vernon KY 40456, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 8 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Cox Building History (within shouting distance of this marker); Rockcastle Co. War Memorial (within shouting distance of this marker); Rockcastle County, 1810 (within shouting distance of this marker); Col. James Maret (1855- 1936) (within shouting distance of this marker); Boone Way (within shouting distance
Fish – Hiatt Building Marker image. Click for full size.
By Tom Bosse, April 12, 2017
3. Fish – Hiatt Building Marker
of this marker); Grand Army of the Republic (GAR) (within shouting distance of this marker); PFC David M. Smith / Medal of Honor Winner (approx. 7.3 miles away); Sambrook Hotel (approx. 7.6 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Mount Vernon.
 
Categories. Industry & Commerce
 
Fish – Hiatt Building image. Click for full size.
By Tom Bosse, April 12, 2017
4. Fish – Hiatt Building
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on May 28, 2017. This page originally submitted on May 26, 2017, by Tom Bosse of Jefferson City, Tennessee. This page has been viewed 46 times since then. Photos:   1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on May 26, 2017, by Tom Bosse of Jefferson City, Tennessee. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.
Paid Advertisement