Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Near Port Gibson in Claiborne County, Mississippi — The American South (East South Central)
 

Windsor Mounds

Mississippi Mound Trail

 
 
Windsor Mounds Marker (Front) image. Click for full size.
By Mark Hilton, May 26, 2017
1. Windsor Mounds Marker (Front)
Inscription. Windsor Mounds includes four rectangular platform mounds overlooking Bayou Pierre. Mound A, visible from the road, is the largest at over 30 feet, and has a ramp extending toward the east. Mounds B, C, and D range in height from 3 to 16 feet. The mounds were constructed in the Late Coles Creek Period and continued through the Plaquemine Period, between AD 1100 and AD 1600. Excavations in 2013 located evidence for structures on the summit of Mound B. Mound C serves as a cemetery for the Freeland and Daniell families.
 
Erected 2016 by the Mississippi Department of Archives and History.
 
Marker series. This marker is included in the Mississippi Mound Trail marker series.
 
Location. 31° 56.765′ N, 91° 7.581′ W. Marker is near Port Gibson, Mississippi, in Claiborne County. Marker is on Rodney Road 1.6 miles west of Montgomery Road, on the left when traveling west. Touch for map. Located about a half-mile north of the Windsor Ruins. Marker is at or near this postal address: Rodney Road, Port Gibson MS 39150, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 8 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Windsor Ruins (approx. 0.4 miles away); Battle of Port Gibson – Grantís March (approx.
Windsor Mounds Marker (Rear map showing mound locations) image. Click for full size.
By Mark Hilton, May 26, 2017
2. Windsor Mounds Marker (Rear map showing mound locations)
2.7 miles away); Battle of Port Gibson – The Battle (approx. 2.8 miles away); Bethel Church (approx. 2.8 miles away); Canemount Plantation (approx. 3.6 miles away); Bayou Pierre Presbyterian Church (approx. 5 miles away); Supporting Battery (approx. 7.2 miles away); Bombardment of Confederate Fortifications by Federal Gunboats (approx. 7.2 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Port Gibson.
 
Also see . . .  Mississippi Department of Archives & History website about the Windsor Mounds. (Submitted on May 28, 2017, by Mark Hilton of Montgomery, Alabama.)
 
Categories. Man-Made FeaturesNative AmericansSettlements & Settlers
 
View of marker looking towards Mound A site. image. Click for full size.
By Mark Hilton, May 26, 2017
3. View of marker looking towards Mound A site.
View of marker west on Rodney Road. image. Click for full size.
By Mark Hilton, May 26, 2017
4. View of marker west on Rodney Road.
Lower plaque
This archaeological site is
on private property. Please
view the site from the
pull-off area.
No
Trespassing
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on May 28, 2017. This page originally submitted on May 28, 2017, by Mark Hilton of Montgomery, Alabama. This page has been viewed 100 times since then. Photos:   1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on May 28, 2017, by Mark Hilton of Montgomery, Alabama.
Paid Advertisement